Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our pregnant Mouse, Jem, is going nuts - I think. She is frantically jetting around the cage, all jerky movements, piling up her floor litter on one side of the cage - the racing around and moving it all to the other side, then staring at me, jumping - running through all the tunnels and repeating.

She has made a nest already (2 actually) and so I dont think she is doing that - has she cracked up? Is this normal?? :panic:

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
How pregnant is she?
She could be ready to give birth soon.Piling up the litter/nesting is a sign she will soon give birth.

Otherwise this running around wildly is normal.
It is similar to guinea pigs "popcorning" and is a sign of a healthy,happy mouse.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She is Golfball sized :)

When you say pop-corning - that is exact word to describe what she is doing! Im glad that she is happy.

Also (you are so helpful :)) she has made a nest in a box that she has to crawl through a pipe to get to, the last bit being straight up - if she has her babies in there could they fall down the hole in the pipe or will she make sure this dosnt happen? There is another nest nox in on the floor of cage too, should I take away the one that is up high, or does she know the best place to have her babies?

·
Registered
302 Posts
If there's shelves or anywhere where babies could fall down and get hurt, modify the cage so there are none. It will be impossible to keep them from harm once they start to wander, sometimes as early as fuzzy stage.

I find the best 'baby' cage is a 10 gallon tank, because the babies won't escape from the bars and there are no ledges or areas where they can get hurt.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks! i will remove the nest box that is up high, and she will have to make do with the other one.

Our cage dosnt have bars so the babies wont be able to get out thankfully!

Thanks - you guys are so helpful :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
They won't always nest in boxes so if she can get up high, it's a risk. I'd confine her to a single level at least till the babies are an older hopper in age. :)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I agree.
I would confine her to ONE level while she has babies,cause they may fall and get badly hurt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts