Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've heard people talking about how they have paper mached objects to create toys and hide aways fro their critters but what i want to know is wouldn't a critter get sick when they chew on t because of the glue used or is there a critter safe glue/way to do this?

·
Herp Nerd
1,115 Posts
Avoid any kind of resins or glues, even if they say they're non-toxic. Non-toxic doesn't mean edible by any stretch. :) There are different ways of making paper mache, the easiest just being with water and flour, you don't have to use any kind of resin or glue - though it won't be as sturdy as a glue mix. Most printing inks now are vegetable based, but can't hurt to make sure, if you use something like newspaper. Of course, I can't imagine anything made of paper mache lasting very long in the paws of any critter... not to mention it would absorb any urine/moisture, and grow bacteria and mold pretty easily.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
I always use to just use a water and flour mixture to make paper mache. Never made anything for my pets with it though. You can actually make it pretty sturdy if you add a lot of layers. But if it gets wet it will start to mold. I have a huuuuge paper mache dragon that I made hanging from the ceiling at my parent's house. I wouldn't bother making anything for my pets with it though, I'm sure it wouldn't last very long.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There are homemade glue recipes that are animal and human safe, but I'm not 100% they hold as well. Here's one recipe you can try:

Homemade Glue Recipe
This is a very basic glue but works. Simply mix water and flour together until you have a paste that is the consistency of pancake batter. Heat on low for 5 minutes. You can add color (food coloring) or flavors to it.

Good Luck ! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts