Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if it would be ok to give my rats some bird food products like Lafebers Nutriberries? n avi-cakes.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
why not...as long as its not the main diet...i feed my mice parrot food occasionally or bird treats...i like to give them variety

·
Registered
220 Posts
It would be ok, and just that. Seed mixes are very unhealthy as they are often very fatty. It would be better to just give them some healthy vegetables or rat specific treats. If you are going to give them treats, matters well make it healthy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well im trying to go with good stuff like lafebers nutriberries and it wouldnt be an all the time thing just as a treat every now and then.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Well it is okay if it is just a treat.I give my rats bird treats for ratty treats sometimes.I get them the fruity mixes every now and then and they like it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just watch out for corn products

If there is too much corn in it, that wouldn't be good.
Also, make sure it doesn't contain any of the "forbidden foods" for rats. I think you can find that on the Rat Fan Club website www.ratfanclub.org
Chrisanne H

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have another question about rat food

in terms of dog food how good is pedigree? I would like to suppliment my guys with some dog food for protien

·
Registered
19 Posts
I make my own rattie mix, and I usually use Innova or Natural Balance dog food (recommended by a rattie breeder) in my mix. You want to make sure it's "light" and no corn in it.
Here's the rattie food mix I make for my mischief:

Suebee’s Rattie GRAIN MIX from http://www.ratsrule.com/diet.html
Mix everything together in a huge bowl (or divide ingredients in half and make two batches if you don't have a bowl big enough for everything -- I actually end up doing three batches!). Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.

1/2 to 1 lb. dry rolled oats

1 5.3 oz. box puffed wheat cereal
Malt-O-Meal, Quaker or Kashi. Cheerios are also a viable alternative, if the other two are not available, but keep in mind that there may be added sugar. I use the Quaker, as it has no sugar content.

1 6.4 oz. box puffed rice cereal
Quaker is the best brand, because it contains no sugar. Rice Krispies really are not recommended, because of salt and sugar content.

1 12 oz. box Total Cereal

1/4 to 1/2 lb. roasted, unsalted soy nuts
These are somewhat high in protein, but contain valuable cancer-preventing agents. If you can't find them, you can work soy into their diet in other ways, such as soy milk, tofu, soy crumbles and soy yogurt. You can also purchase Just Soy Nuts online.

1/2 lb dried fruits
Dried bananas and cranberries. The bananas offer potassium, and cranberries are good for the urinary tract. Until recently, I used the banana chips, which unfortunately are fried. I have since discovered Just Bananas, which are nothing more than dried bananas.

1/2 lb dry pasta
The tri-colored elbows, with spinach and tomato flavor. Nice and crunchy for the teeth, and a good source of carbohydrates, which helps balance the protein in the soy nuts. The box I buy is actually 12 oz., a little more than 1/2 lb. Whole-wheat pasta is also a good choice.

1/4 lb sunflower seeds
The large sunflower seeds for birds (the black and white ones) are best. I used to give my boys the unshelled, unsalted seeds from the bulk department, but they weren't enjoyed as much.

1/4 lb muesli (optional)
Sometimes (especially in winter), I have a hard time getting the rolled oats in bulk -- too many people eating oatmeal, I guess. I found a mix called "muesli" in the bulk department that had a lot of interesting items in it that the rats really like, including rolled oats, granola, pumpkin seeds and raisins. It offers a nice variety, but I would use it sparingly due to sugar content.

Also Add:
High quality dog food – Innova or Natural Balance are good choices
A quality parrot mix - with very little corn in it
Lab Blocks – Harlan Teklad only!
Grape nuts cereal

TREATS
Of course, every rat needs and deserves treats! Life would be boring without treats, and some of the items in the list below are also important dietary supplements. Fresh fruits and veggies offer a lot of important vitamins.
You should always give your rats healthy treats... No chocolate or jellybeans or potato chips (ok, ok, I'm guilty of it, too!). Pretty much anything that is healthy for humans is healthy for rats. Below is a list of the various things I feed my rats as treats.
 Gerber instant baby oatmeal (great for mixing in supplements)
 cooked pasta or rice
 fruits (fresh and frozen), including watermelon, blueberries, plums and grapes
 veggies (fresh and frozen), including broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peas, corn, and lima beans
 fresh wheatgrass - mine love Petgrass, or you can grow your own from seeds - I get mine from Sprouthouse. Once it starts to turn yellow-brown, throw it out. If there are any yellow or brown blades in the pot, don't buy it, as it is already on its way out. It should be about 2" tall when you purchase it.
 wheat or multigrain bread
 plain popcorn
 occasional healthy table scraps
 olive oil - this helps the coat stay shiny and dandruff-free. I give my adult boys a small piece of bread soaked in the oil about once a week.
 yogurt
 Dried fruits and veggies from Just Tomatoes
 Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Treats

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I am actually starting to make my own rat diet and am going by Suebee's diet,however the brands of dog food mentioned are not here! I haven't seen them anyway...anyone know some other GOOD dog kibble I could get as a substitute???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Vanilla_Rat said:
I am actually starting to make my own rat diet and am going by Suebee's diet,however the brands of dog food mentioned are not here! I haven't seen them anyway...anyone know some other GOOD dog kibble I could get as a substitute???
Experienced rat owners (I'm only sorta experienced :D ) recommend using a quality dog food from a pet store (not the grocery store). You don't use a lot in your mix of other things, so it lasts a long time. I keep mine in the freezer and add about 1 lb or less of it to my mix each time. Choose a quality dog food whose ingredients are REAL meat and vegetables, and the fat content is not too high. A main ingredient should NOT be corn!! A "lite" formula is good. There are good dog foods with duck, chicken, etc.. as the first ingredients listed. You can even go with a vegetarian dog food if you like. Some good names that come to mind: IAMS, Eukaneuba, Science Diet....
Hope that helps!

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Chrisanne H said:
Experienced rat owners (I'm only sorta experienced :D ) recommend using a quality dog food from a pet store (not the grocery store). You don't use a lot in your mix of other things, so it lasts a long time. I keep mine in the freezer and add about 1 lb or less of it to my mix each time. Choose a quality dog food whose ingredients are REAL meat and vegetables, and the fat content is not too high. A main ingredient should NOT be corn!! A "lite" formula is good. There are good dog foods with duck, chicken, etc.. as the first ingredients listed. You can even go with a vegetarian dog food if you like. Some good names that come to mind: IAMS, Eukaneuba, Science Diet....
Hope that helps!
Thanks,that IS a help.

I will NOT buy IAMS or Eukaneuba tho.Maybe I will look at Science Diet.Thats what my friend fed her greyhounds (which I am happy to say I had co-ownership of...they are now gone...R.I.P) and I know it is costly,but I heard good things about it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
why wont you buy IAMS or Eukanuba?

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Toadie78 said:
why wont you buy IAMS or Eukanuba?
I don't buy these brands because of the cruel tests done to animals,especially beagles (I work with beagles).I do not support this company AT ALL.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ah ok understood. Well gang today is the day i get the peanuts. Im so so excited

·
Registered
220 Posts
Vanilla_Rat said:
I don't buy these brands because of the cruel tests done to animals,especially beagles (I work with beagles).I do not support this company AT ALL.
they do that??? wow.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts