Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My degu had six adorable babies last night. Two of them appear to have cleft lips, They are both smaller than the other four. I am concerned about their development and nutrition.. Does anybody have any advice??

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Was this a planned breeding? Are the babies being fed?

If you're concerned, your best bet is to call a vet. It's difficult to help with health problems over an internet forum :(.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not plan the breeding. The babies are eating a lot . The two smaller ones appear to be eating as much as the rest. They are sneezing and pawing at their noses. One of the babies, who we have named rocket, his top teeth are growing sideways into eachother, is it possible to file their teeth to keep them from injuring him?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I did not plan the breeding. The babies are eating a lot . The two smaller ones appear to be eating as much as the rest. They are sneezing and pawing at their noses. One of the babies, who we have named rocket, his top teeth are growing sideways into eachother, is it possible to file their teeth to keep them from injuring him?
The teeth can be filed, yes.

I would definitely call a vet, though. Were the parents related? These seem like problems you'd see in inbred babies :(. The vet can show you how to file the teeth properly and they may have more advice, too. Without seeing the babies, there's not much I can say.

Good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your advice. I was hoping to get them into a vet. But being the weekend and not haveing a vet experienced with degus I was unable to get Rocket help in time... I discovered him a little while ago, I dont think he was able to breath properly. I could hear him wheezing yesterday. R.I.P. Rocket we loved you already..

Leo is on the left. Rocket on the right.

Attachments

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I'm very sorry for your loss :(. Good luck with the others.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much. The remaining five babies are doing great this morning. They are playing and climbing out of the nest. Leo is still sneezing and pawing at his nose, but we are hopeful!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Leo is doing wonderful he is eating degu food right along with his littermates. They are also chewing on hay and little sticks I bought a petco..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts