Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
My little Marla is getting spayed and de-clawed on Monday. (I know some people have mixed feelings on de-clawing, but that's not my topic this time.) I'm wondering, what I need to do, as far as cat litter goes... Can it hurt their paws after they've just been de-clawed? With my other cat, I can't remember what we did, I'm thinking we put newspaper in her cat pan...
I'm only asking because I just thought of it now, and don't want to hurt her, or cause infection with the whole cat litter thing.
Any help or comments would be great.
Thanks!

Kenty :)

· Registered
2,253 Posts
AHHH, I just have to say that de-clawing is really inhumane. Its painful for the cats and takes away all there protection. what if one got out on day, it would have no way to defend itself if it was being threatend. It couldn't climb a tree to escape danger, etc.

Its right up there with de-barking a dog.

Now, for the answer. Pellets are the best to use. My cat Sammy was already de-clawed when I adopted him. He cannot use normal litter, as it gets stuck in his paws. I use the pine pellets, he seem to like those. Poor guys feet are disfigured from declawing.

Also, there are other alternatives to de-clawing.

· Miss New Booty
5,896 Posts
Scarlette said:
Please don't turn this into a declawing debate. Thank you. :)
I was just posting this. ;) Thanks Rhonda!

Ginger was already front declawed when I rescued her. She's never had any problems using any kind of litter we put in the boxes. :) I would ask the vet what he/she suggests. :yes: Maybe something like Yesterday's News? Hope everything goes well for Marla and she feels better soon. :hug3:

· Miss New Booty
5,896 Posts
Ambieruns10 said:
Sorry. :shrug:
Amber, no need to be sorry. :) Ofcourse you are entitled to the way you feel, it was just a friendly reminder to make sure to nothing gets out of hand or that anyone's feelings get hurt, that's all. ;) We're just trying to help Tara out by answering her question. :)

· Registered
274 Posts
my vet recommended yesterdays news when i got my male declawed... i hated the stuff but it seemed to be easy on his feet, and now we're back to the regular clumping kind.
(oh and he was also jumping up on counters a day or two later so he obviously wasnt in any pain)

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
I am also not a fan of de-clawing at all,as there are alternatives...BUT...this is not a debate thread...

Try using a pellet based litter,like Yesterday's News (I use this for my rats) or another pelleted base litter.

· Curmudgeon
1,844 Posts
I've never had a cat that wasn't de-clawed in the front, and I've used newspaper torn into strips for the litter. Don't use what comes out of a shredder, as the edges can be too sharp and cause paper cuts.

bob

· Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions! I appreciate it very much.
I'm only getting her front claws done. (I'm sorry if I've offended anyone with this whole post.)
I think I might try shredded newspaper option, or possibly the feline pine stuff. I'm not sure yet, as we're a bit tight on money now, after this whole ordeal, lol. But thank you for all your suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!! And I will take good care of her to make sure she doesn't get any infections and whatnot.

Thanks again everyone! =D

· Registered
1,593 Posts
Kitties can certainly take a dislike to switching substrates, whether it's in this situation or another. So, if you're going with feline pine, maybe be prepared and have another choice (like yesterday's news) on hand in case she doesn't like it...some cats REALLY don't like it at first. Or, even try switching over a few days ahead of time to get her used to it.

Yesterday's news is probably the one I've heard of most often, and I haven't heard of as many cats taking a dislike to it. It might still be worth switching the litter over ahead of time if Marla is finicky about litter at all.

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
I would go with Yesterday's News. Now they make one that has a softer texture which would probably be easier on your kitty's feet :). Although it doesn't absorb as well.

· Registered
4,887 Posts
At our clinic, when we declaw cats, they stay overnight and are given shredded newspaper in their litter boxes. We recommend owners use shredded newspaper or Yesterdays News for 10-14 days. Be sure to get pain medication to take home for her too...she'll thank you for it ;)

Oh and to those that think declawing leaves cats defenseless...Let me introduce you (verbally anyway) to "Smokie". Smokie is a cat owned by one of our clients. He is both front, and rear declawed (our clinic didn't do it, but after dealing with Smokie, Doc would probably have taken the rears as well) He's an indoor cat who has been mean from the time he was a kitten (according to the owner) Many cats do act mean at the vet's due to fear, but owners say they are wonderful at home. NOT Smokie! He's mean everywhere! The last time he came in, just getting him out of the carrier (before doing ANYTHING at all to him) He broke the carrier, cleared the counter tops, left 7 holes in my hand, 6 holes in another tech's hand, 2 holes in the same tech's face, 4-6 holes in the vet's fingers, a new piercing in the owners nose, and gashes in the owner's arm. Not to mention he came very close to taking down the mini fridge in the exam room. Doc had to sedate him just to stop him from attacking everyone and everything so we could all get our own wounds under control! That cat is 4-way declawed! Tell me again how defenseless he is! :lol:

· Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
Chinchilla_Girl said:
Oh and to those that think declawing leaves cats defenseless...Let me introduce you (verbally anyway) to "Smokie". Smokie is a cat owned by one of our clients. He is both front, and rear declawed (our clinic didn't do it, but after dealing with Smokie, Doc would probably have taken the rears as well) He's an indoor cat who has been mean from the time he was a kitten (according to the owner) Many cats do act mean at the vet's due to fear, but owners say they are wonderful at home. NOT Smokie! He's mean everywhere! The last time he came in, just getting him out of the carrier (before doing ANYTHING at all to him) He broke the carrier, cleared the counter tops, left 7 holes in my hand, 6 holes in another tech's hand, 2 holes in the same tech's face, 4-6 holes in the vet's fingers, a new piercing in the owners nose, and gashes in the owner's arm. Not to mention he came very close to taking down the mini fridge in the exam room. Doc had to sedate him just to stop him from attacking everyone and everything so we could all get our own wounds under control! That cat is 4-way declawed! Tell me again how defenseless he is! :lol:

I"ve seen a lot of declawed cats react like that. They tend to get really panicked by things because they don't think they can defend themselves (what with the no claws), and treat everything as a life or death situation. Truly sad.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.