Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yes she does. She loves her dogs very much. :) Her and her husband never had any children, so those dogs have been her babies.

I've had to bottle-feed baby rodents too, it's tough work! Lol.

Mygala - I understand your point, in keeping the breed line clean, but I still don't think it's right to off the bat, go euthanizing any deaf puppies that might've been a product of two Dalmatians mating, even if their family histories didn't show any signs of deafness. :/

It's not tough to go and get the deaf offspring, when they come of age, fixed. Fixing is a MUCH better option than death...

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Realistically, though, if all these pups were homed look at how many more would perish in shelters. Im not saying its right, in ANY way, Im looking at it from a realistic perspective. There are not enough homes for all the animals coming in to the world. It's pretty unfair and irrational to keep EVERY one alive.

·
Rodentologist
1,941 Posts
If you make that argument, why are we breeding at all? They all result in puppies in shelters dying, not just the deaf ones. It seems irrational to justify killing some puppies because they would cause other puppies to die, when ALL of the puppies that are left alive cause others to die.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It just boils down the the selfishness of man. Is there even such a word, selfishness? Dogs are Man's best friend, not Man's best showtoy. :( Breeders don't care about the health of the animal, so much so that their genes probably got messed up from too much inbreeding to get the qualities that the breeder wants.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I never said I agree with breeding. Im totally against it in any form: mutt, cat, otherwise. I think I even mentioned that above. Im trying to argue that to people who are against the killing of un-desired traits in the offspring of pure-breds but would go support the industry by buying from these people that it's hypocritical. I understand this myself and hence why I wont ever get a baby animal unless its adopted but even still I'll prefer to adopt an adult animal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
an animal is an animal no matter what the breed,,,,, dont believe in euthanising any for no proper reason ...... the way to control the population is to nuter them not to kill them

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I agree as well. I dont beleive in euthanasia as a form of population control. And I love all animals no matter what. But I can realistically understand that while one is continually bringing mor and more into the world there are less and less homes.. This is unfair for the animals and encourages the Hoarding habits of people who believe they are doing a good thing by saving them all. I know one girl who thought all cats outside belonged in her home and she literally 'cat-napped'- like a dozen in all and kept half of them. I lived in this house and can tell you the cats would have been waaaaay happier outside where they have their own space and more than 1 place to do their business. I feel strongly about it, if there's not enough space for the animals where are they supposed to go? Not all of them can live in contant and happiness b/c there is just not enough space. Its the fault of the people who ignore this and keep breeding and breeding. And thank god we do have the option of lethal injection b/c this means less animals are being drowned and slain as a way of execution.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would just like to state that my rescue Aussie was born bilaterally deaf. I got him when he was surrendered by the people who purchased him likely not realizing he’s deaf. They only kept him for 3 weeks. Their loss is my gain though because he is SO SMART, so sweet and really fun. He knows many signs and he’s very well adjusted. I was worried about adopting a deaf dog but had faith in my abilities to do a proper job. I have to ensure his safety when there are dangers he can’t hear but aside from that, he’s absolutely no different than a hearing dog. I think it helps to have another dog to help guide a deaf dog but I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary. I ADORE my dog and can’t imagine life without him. If you have the ability to adopt a deaf dog, you should definitely consider it. There’s lots of info and support out there for people who decide to adopt a deaf dog and there’s no reason to think of euthanasia as a first option for any dog.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts