Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
Earlier this fall I found a week old deer mouse. three months later he is a healthy active member of our family despite the many trials of his early life (being so young, getting sick, my inexperience at raising mice, and being allergic to peanuts. seriously.) Being a social animal i thought of getting another mouse or two. we introduced him to a fancy mouse this week but she had to go back to her previous home. now he is upset and keeps looking for her. I do not really like fancy mice as they have a smell that triggers my rodent phobia (yes i adopted a mouse with a rodent phobia) and it makes the cats crazy. I have been looking every where for someone who has deer mice they are willing to sell or mice that need homes. It seem that there are more people who want deer mice than there are deer mice out there. I really love my little guy (His name is Fezzic the Giant) and i want him to be happy. If anyone knows of any deer mice out there please contact me. or if anyone has any questions about deer mice don't be afraid to ask.
Thank you

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
I doubt anyone keeps deer mice so you are going to have to get a fancy mouse and just suffer :p Your cat is probably reacting to the deer mouse as well...just make sure he/she cannot get to the cage. Mice don't live a long time (often less than rats) so it would only be a short period of your life that you would have to worry about mice.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
You might want to be careful. I don't know if a male Deer mouse might still be able to impregnate a female fancy mouse. And you definitely wouldn't want to get another male mouse no matter what because male Deer mice are hugely territorial, often at times even with their brothers from what I've read. I had a male deer mouse that I raised as an orphan and he was just fine by himself. I just made sure he had a really neat entertaining cage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually I have seen quite a few people who have deer mice it's just that most of them are rescues. In fact I have seen other posts on other forums, and this one, of people looking for them. As for the cats I live with they usually ignore my deer mouse unless he is running in his ball. Deer mice also live quite long in captivity, one source says 4 -10 years another says 3 - 6, and they get quite attached to there companions. That is part of why I would like another deer mouse or two. I don't want him to have a companion for just a couple of years, I want him to have a friend for life. I appreciate you commenting though. I really have done my research on this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have checked deer mice and fancy/house mice can't breed. I would like two females for preference. I know that introducing another male can be dangerous especially when he is older. Fez is only 3 months and if I do it before 6 months there is a better chance of success. And I have heard from people who keep multiples that as long as they aren't breeding the males are less aggressive than fancy mice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Out of curiosity how long have you, or did you, have your deer mouse? What did you feed yours? I'm having some trouble finding a good mouse food mix for him. I have to make my own because he is allergic to peanuts.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I had him for just about a year. Then he started acting funny(stumbling around and not real interested in eating) and passed away. :/ I gave him a bottle cap full of raspberry mush, hoping the antioxidants would help him pull through, and he did eat as much as he could, but to not avail. He passed away after 48 hours. I fed him a home-made mixture of seeds, tree nuts, dog kibble on some days, and crickets(we have a tarantula) and wax worms other days, plus some gatherings from outside such as mulberries and plant leaves. I hope it wasn't the dog kibble that did him in. He was perfectly fine; hyper, healthy, happy, but after a few days of using Natural Balance as the kibble in his food mix he started getting lethargic and acting funny. I did some research and came across entries from pet owners feeding Natural Balance making their pets ill.

If I could find another orphan I'd skip out on the dog or cat kibble altogether out of safety, and just feed crickets and wax worms for the protein. He LOVED the gooeyness of wax worms and loved hunting crickets. :)

·
Resident Zoologist
262 Posts
Do be rather careful keeping or suggesting anyone keep previously wild deer mice...although incidence is somewhat rare, bringing in a pet that is carrying hantavirus could be mortal to both you and multiple family members.

·
Resident Zoologist
262 Posts
We're only talking about orphans, Toirtis.
If you are referring to orphaned babies of wild mice, the risk of them carrying hantavirus is still there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I know the risks of disease in wild mice, It is part of my rodent phobia. When I first found Fezzic he was less than a week old if he had been infected he wouldn't have survived. I did plenty of research on the subject. And I would suggest the same for anyone who has found a baby wild mouse. The incubation for hantavirus is two weeks and easily treated if caught early. And when he was younger we washed our hands before and after handling him for his health and ours. Now that he is older we still wash our hands after holding him and I use gloves when cleaning his cage. Also I would never recommend keeping an adult wild mouse that you would find. I should have specified that I am looking for a deer mouse born in captivity or found as a pup.

Also I checked hantavirus is not common in my area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you Flickeringhope. I will try him on crickets. He is a picky eater and allergic to peanuts, which is just weird. I've been afraid that he isn't getting enough protein so crickets would be perfect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Agreed. I've seen suggestions of catching adults and keeping them. That is dangerous and cruel. Fezzic has never really known the wild and would not do well. He has no fear of people or cat. He even nibbles on my cats toes and plays chase the cat in his ball. Wild mice of any species are are wild animal and therefor should be kept in the wild when ever possible and not removed especially as adults. I found Fez on the sidewalk, his eyes and ears werent even open yet and he had no fur. And again I am not looking for an adult WILD mouse but one from captivity.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If this is still an issue, some tame deer mice won't accept another mouse companion if they are attached to their human owners. Domestic pet mice make good companions if your mouse really needs a companion.

You're correct that deer mice will usually outlive domestic companions. It doesn't really make sense to give a lower age range when describing lifespan as any animal can die early. Most of my deer mice lived about 5 years, but I have had a couple that lived to be about 6-1/2 and have heard of some living as long as 8 years. I suspect that 8 years is really the upper limit.

In regards to protein, this is more important with older mice that start to lose muscle mass. You can just feed meat, chicken or salmon are 2 good options. I have a recommended diet on my site. I can post the link if I am allowed (have enough posts). Well I don't have enough posts so just search for:

"Bucky Goldstein's G.W. Deer Mouse Ranch"

Let me know if you have any other questions.

paul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts