Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Actually, I would consider a goldfish a pet for a different reason anyways--it's a domestic animal :).

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Work dogs are normally thought of as pets.
Not everywhere or everyone thinks this way.
I belong to a dog forum and some people over there believe differently.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
hence NORMALLY.

Cops treat their dogs as pets at home.

Hunting dogs are give or take.

Search and rescue dogs are treated as pets

some are some arent. IT isnt if they have a purpose they aren't pets.

Many have mousing cats but also feed and pet them and tame them, some dont.

in the day that people used to have hunting dogs like terriers they were normally treated as pets as well.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Beagles here are treated as objects.They are used for hunting only...once they no longer hunt,they are often killed,abandoned or given away/sold.They are not seen as pets by many hunters.

Racing greyhounds are often treated the same way.Once they retire at age 5...most retire before age 5,they are often killed,sold/given to labs,abandoned.They are also not seen as pets by the racing industry.

Also breeds like great pyranees and other breeds like that are often kept only as work dogs.
My point is...alot of people don't see certain breeds as pets.That is my point.Sure,there are many who do consider their dogs pets even if they have a job to do,but not all.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
It's probably not politically correct, but I consider all my animals to be pets. There are definatly some that I can interact with more than others, like my dog or rabbits verses my fish or gecko...but all the same, every single one of them has a name, and I am quite attached to them all. I enjoy interacting with them all, even if for some of them all that interaction involves is taking care of them and watching them in their cages. :)

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
Most race dogs are not pets either.
They will just get put down, when they are not good enough anymore.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
or sent to asia for food.

but is that wrong? IDK. Food is food. Some people really need it, others are cruel. But i don't wanna get into that.

·
I'm not weird, I'm gifted
1,530 Posts
IMO eating an animal is not cruel, as long as you put the animal down in a good way, and it had a good life.

But if you look at race dogs. They are used until they can't run anymore, and then just thrown away.
I don't know if it's cruel, it's just unetichal if you ask me.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts