Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on degu behavior during their breeding season, which according to some stuff I've been reading is around about spring time.

I've had my girls for 3 months now and in the last week or so I've noticed they're getting a lot more excitable and making a lot of different noises than those I've heard before. They are running around the cage a lot more and seem to nibble at each others faces, when this starts happening what normally happens is Stumpy (my tailless degu) will start making noises in long, drawn out squeaks/whistles which finish with a bubbly wharble sort of noise (sorry I know this is vague but it's the best I can think of!) and drumming/wagging her tail on the floor - it's quite cute considering she only has half the normal size degu tail it's like a dog wagging it's tail!

Tails is also running around and doing the tail thumping thing although she's not whistling like Stumpy does. Stumpy is also stretching herself right out when she wants to sleep - to the point she's sitting on her ledges in the cage with all her paws hanging over the edges! She's still very active so I'm not worried there's anything wrong it just seems like her way to relax but she's only really started doing it since the whistling/running around like hyper children started.

Can anyone else shed some light on this? Is this normal, to do with mating season, or have I just got weird degus?! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, at least they are still happy...ours started fighting and we had to separate them. :-(

Saying that though...ours have also gone crazy hyper at the moment, (no tail thumping but a lot of running around like kids) so maybe it has something to do with their first breeding season?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm maybe! Mine aren't fighting which is good but then they don't get much time to when I'm home the cage is open and they're free to roam around the place! They've had a lot of energy to burn recently and leaving the cage open means they're not running around in their now-worn wheel which makes high-pitched squealing noises when they run in it!! (Plastic wheel from Pets At Home - cost me £17 two months ago and it's on its last legs where they use it so much and have worn the plastic away at the back!)

·
Registered
90 Posts
My degus have actually had a bit of an attitude lately, have been getting them used to us new owners they were really happy but recently have started biting when we block them from running where we dont want them getting at, was wondering if this could have to do with breeding season or if they dont want to be stopped lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have two adorable degus of my own that are doing the same (not the tail thumping thing though.) Darian and Dalila seemed to always run around the cage hyper and happy for no apparent reason. (They kept me up most of the night -.-...and day....)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts