Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at my local pet store and found Degus for sale, when a women comes in and starts freaking out about how the new baby she bought from the store the day before had started attacking her other Degu.. aparantly the little one ended up with a small wound on its back.. I told her I'd look into it and email her so I was wondering if anyone on here has any idea of why a single Degu wouldn;t except someone into there cage and what to do with open wounds...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should mention she had two degu's one died the other is like 3 years old ish.. there the same sex.. and shes had them side by side for a week in seperate cages, and all they wanna do is just merk each other

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
It sounds like she rushed introductions. They should have been introduced in neutral territory (and meetings should have been frequent but short).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She said almost everyday for the first 2 weeks they met eachother in a neutral spot and it never went badly.. it wasnt until they were both in a cage together that they started fighting..

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
She said almost everyday for the first 2 weeks they met eachother in a neutral spot and it never went badly.. it wasnt until they were both in a cage together that they started fighting..
Then the cage is too small, it wasn't thoroughly cleaned out beforehand, or the meetings went too fast.

It's hard to say, anyways, since you don't know exactly what she did or didn't do. Maybe she did everything right but they just didn't like each other, who knows!

At this point, though, it'll be tough to re-introduce them :(.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts