Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there.. so I have two Degu's when we bought them we were told they were male and female but have never breeded, they are about 2 years old and we are unable to determine the sex mainly because I can't judge it at all lol.. anyways we figured they were both the same sex but one is bigger and a lot more adventurous where as the smaller one stays around the house and constantly runs on the wheel.. recently we have added a new floor to their habitat and they raided every thing possible to build one big nest. The smaller degu sleeps inside the nest and the bigger one sleeps right outside the door.. does this sound like one could be pregnant? we've only had them for 3 weeks but neither looks pregnant.. Or could it be common for two Degu's of the same sex to do something similar..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm not sure if it makes a big difference but they have also gone from a small cage to a habitat over double the size of their old one

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I think the best way to figure this out would be to properly sex them ;).

This website has pictures: http://www.degus-online.de/english.htm

If you can't easily handle them, place them (one at a time) in some sort of clear container (such as a "critter keeper" type carrier, a glass aquarium, a large jar, a fish bowl, etc.) and then view from underneath. That's a trick I used when sexing hamsters that weren't tame.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Degu nest build all the time, one of mine goes nuts after torn up cardboard tubes. i jsut tear them up and he comes running to the cage door to snatch it off me. I've seen them have 3- 4 nests before and the cage isnt that big. I think its just something for them to do. I do provide lots of things for them to play around with and i spent about an hour every few days putting bits in and taking others out. It just keeps them entertained. Though they do seem to scrap if thier cage ahs been changed around i have to admitt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts