Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new on here and need some advise. Long story short one of our degus passed away :(

Now I have one on his own Diego, he has always been very active and still is but I feel he may get lonely.

I have been doing some research and Diego is over 1 year old (He is just over 3) it would be ideal to introduce younger degus (Under 8 weeks) and according to what I found, introduce 2 younger males.

Reason for this being they apparently instinctively look after younger ones who are not a threat but him being 3 years old, if Diego passes in 1, 2 or even 4 years I will be left with one again with a long life ahead of it.

Now his brother (Taz) only passed today, RIP. So I have an appointment in just over a weeks time to get Diego just checked over in general as he seems healthy so just want to make sure and get the vets advise also on what I should do.

I don't want him to be lonely like he is in a solitary confinement in a prison, I can give him lots of attention and so can my girlfriend but not when we are both at work!

Would appreciate anyone with a vast knowledge/experience as to what we should do in respect to introducing degus (If we even should?), what age, how many and how long should I give Diego to mourn? He doesn't seem to phased at the moment.

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. To be honest I had never heard of degus so I had to google it! It says they like being social so it sounds like it's worth getting another.

·
Registered
20 Posts
At the bottom of this thread is a link to a similar post from a few years ago which may help - so I can't post links yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts