Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been surfing the net and I couldn't find topic like thit :confused:

Anyway, here's the problem.

My first degu was [and is :)] female. She's a cutie in all ways however one thing is killing me... She goes to the top floor of her cage and... pees on the wall! I thought that it's only her habit but story didn't end like this. After few months I've bought her a boy friend degu. At all they had 2 litters and I've kept 1 girl from second litter which now lives with her mom. However here's a point --> all of my 3 degus pees out of the cage by sanctifying my room walls! It's terrible I have no idea how to deal with it.
Maybe you had similar experience? :(

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
You may want to bring them to the vet, it could maybe be an infection just a thought. also,the male maybe doing it to maybe mark his territory ? i dont no much about degus but its a thought.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Well, I can tell you this...you didn't make it any better by introducing a male. The behavior seems to happen more often in mixed groups.

It's usually a territorial thing and there's no easy fix. You're going to need to put up a barrier in the spot that she goes. Is it always the same spot? A long time ago there was a member on here who had this issue with her males. She built barriers (like walls to prevent urine from getting out of the cage) but it was so long ago I'm afraid I don't remember how she did it :(. Maybe look through older posts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts