Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,
pretty much as stated above my Degu's won't use their dust bath. They don't sit in or anything. Most they do is they will drag their hay or piece of litter into it but won't bathe. How do you I get them to start doing it? I leave it in for about 20-30 minutes at a time just to try to get them used to it but they don't want any part of it. One just likes to sit in their house and the other likes to climb to the top of their cage and sit in the wheel.

Which by the way the wheel they don't use either unless they are flinging poo. Clever and silly little things.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
What kind of dust bath/sand are you using? And how do you offer it to them?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of dust bath/sand are you using? And how do you offer it to them?
I use Chinchilla bath sand is what I'm using right now. Pet store recommended it. I just put it into a bowl and place it down in their cage. They have investigated every time I put it in their but walk away from it after that.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Try using a more closed container like the "chinchilla bath houses" they sell (I used a similarly-shaped food container) and maybe switch to a different brand to see if there's a difference.

Keep trying, they'll probably get it eventually.

Is the sand you're using scented? If so, try unscented.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try using a more closed container like the "chinchilla bath houses" they sell (I used a similarly-shaped food container) and maybe switch to a different brand to see if there's a difference.

Keep trying, they'll probably get it eventually.

Is the sand you're using scented? If so, try unscented.
Ok i'll try a bath house...the sand I use is unscented. thank you for the reponses :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I went to the dollar store and bought a brandy glass and my guys love using it as their dust bath, but three out of my 5 degus barly use the dust bath at all themselfs didnt think it was that important

1 - 6 of 6 Posts