Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need to get Blitzen to stop eating everything on the ground outside when we go out for walks. This morning, he tried to eat glass, it was the top part of a broken alcohol bottle. I took it out of his mouth with a fight, but I think it cut him a little. I've been trying "drop it" and "leave it" but it doesn't always work. And sometimes I also try pulling on the leash when I see him open his mouth to grab something. It makes me feel like I'm not feeding him enough, so I've been giving him more food than I used to and he's gone up to 5 treats per day. What else can I try to stop him from trying to eat everything outside?

·
Registered
374 Posts
In a controlled environment does he understand leave it? If so he may not understand it with interesting objects yet or outside in a new space. If not, that may be the next project that you guys get to work on.

A friend of mine has a pug that would eat rocks.... It lead to a backyard party with everyone picking up rocks out of the yard.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He understands "leave it" but most of the time he just ignores it. I literally have to force his mouth open to get it out and at the same time he tries to keep his mouth closed and bites down- not saying he tries to bite me. At home, he only takes what's his (finally)...if he tries to take something he's not supposed to we tell him to leave it and goes off to one of his own toys. He also understands "drop it" but only at home. It seems that he forgets everything he's learned when we go out.

·
Lovin' my pack!
774 Posts
http://www.ehow.com/how_2044068_teach-dog-leave.html

You need to teach your dog to leave things! Whatever you taught him before to do to leave it obviously isn't working. Show your dog who's the leader. You can't establish that,you will forever have problems.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If they ignore a request then they really don't know the behavior. My thought would be to take what he knows to leave it with outside with you for some training. It may help assosicate that the behavior he knows in a new place.
Here is another resource www.dogmantics.com

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
You really don't have to count treats. If you give healthy treats and your dog is not over weight you don't have to limit to 5 a day.

He is not eating weird stuff because he is hungry. he's playing with it or exploring.

You have to tell him to leave it before he is going after it. so you have to see the things he is drawn to before he does.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Hmm I never had this problem but I agree with above. "drop it" and "leave it" work if he has it in his mouth, before he gets it maybe snap his attention from the object and say "no" then reward him. Bring his favorite toy on the walk and when he pays attention to you rather than things he wants to explore you reward him with his toy. Good luck!

·
Dinky Corsetkisser
4,020 Posts
my brothers pit was liek that, he wanted to pick up everything, and my brother worked with him, hired a trainer...until Max got it down my brother used a soft muzzle because he was worried Max could pick up something dangerous, Max is now 3 and picks up nothing while outside, it took alot of patients, consistancy and tons of time.

David worked with Max at hom and at the park...he would put "safe" objects on the ground and take Max to them and do the Leave it command every day...lol Max was stubborn, but he got it and now is a happy silly boy who carries his squeeky on all his walks lol

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've been taking a treat every-time we've gone out today and he hasn't picked up anything at all and he didn't even pull once (We've been working on that too). He just kept following the treat! And I'd give him the treat when we got just outside the front door. Now for how long should I do the treat when going out for walks?

·
Registered
374 Posts
You can vary how often you share the treat with him out on walks. Your goal could be to eventually hold out until the end of the trip.

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
If the dog understands the no command it will help along with drop/out/etc. If there is something in his mouth then he needs to know to let go. You can try by baiting him with "safe" things at home in the yard etc.Keep a regular collar and a short lead on him while doing this.

When he goes for lets say a cracker on the ground. You should be watching closely make a noise to side track him and make the situation less pleasant while taking the collar and redirecting him to another location away from the troublesome area. This is to help stop the behavior from happening. You should alternate with different "baits". T Never scream it's not that effective anyways;). You can say No! or AH AH AH sahke a bottle filled with coins OR SOMETHING OF THE LIKE. Once he starts avoiding it on the verbal correction be sure to give the dog lots of praise or play time. To let em knw this is the right choice.
After he gets better then switch to a longer lead until voice is all that is needed.

Also the drop it command will be necessary for the times you cannot stop him from the get go. Every command needs to be clear and evident of what you are asking. If the dog hears the command and does not respond within 5 to 10 seconds then they did not listen correctly. And this should not be rewarded. instead give a firm "No" and resart until you get the desired behavior. follow with praise or play

If a dog understands that they can perform a task sloppy and recieve an award then that only encourages the bad habits. I hope this helps :)

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
I forgot to mention that when you go on walks try the same thing as with the 'bait set up as the house" Walk about 50 paces leave a bait in the middle. As you walk towards it keep the pups attention give it praise and try to play or give em a treat as you pass the bait. If he tries to go towards it or ignore you simply hold the leash and collar higher and briskly wast past with a firm "no if needed". The leash should be high enough so he cannot stopp his head down to ground level. Be sure to give praise as soon as he shows interest in something else other than the bait. It will take time but I am sure your pooch will get a hang of it in no time.:yes:

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
how is it going for your pup?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's actually getting better...I've been doing what you suggested...but I had to go out before I took him every-time and clean our path a little and I left half a cracker about 10 feet from our place. I don't see much of a difference yet- he's been trying to get it every time since the 19th (that's when I started) but I'm guessing it'll take lots of practice. I've also been picking up the glass pieces around our place so he doesn't swallow it and hurt himself. Wish we could get out of the area we're living in...lots of drunken teens around our area. Well we'll see how long he takes- he's very stubborn.

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
at least hes improving. Im sure he'll do alot better in time

1 - 16 of 16 Posts