Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any OTC cat dewormer I can buy? My brothers cat hasnt been to the vet yet and I kind of refuse to take him. I wanted to treat him for fleas and worms...so is there any OTC worm stuff?

·
Aspires to Stupidity
2,312 Posts
I'm not sure of any brands, but I just wanted to tell you to be careful with that stuff. Read the directions carefully and don't give too much. I gave my cats too much of the medication and they haven't been the same since, and it's been almost 3 years. They're still great cats, but the one is scared all the time at stupid things like a sock on the floor or a blanket.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Go to a shelter they should be able to give you proper dosage for the Cat at a reduced cost.... OTC pet meds IMO are crap and not anything I would even consider giving my animal EVER.

We had 2 kittens that we rescued from our wood pile when I was a kid... our local animal shelter gave my mom all the worming meds for the kittens for about $5 per kitten (this was like 15 years ago though, I'm sure it is more now).

I do not think you should feel like it's your responsibility to care for HIS cat. If your brother refuses to take proper care of his cat by taking it to the vet, try to find it a new home where it will get proper vet care. If he doesn't care enough about it to have it seen by a vet I doubt he would really miss it being gone. Not to mention that a wormy cat is a health risk to humans and your other pets, certain worms can actually cause blindness in humans (scary huh?).

·
Fluffy Gerbilshorts
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I want to keep the cat. I refuse to take it to the vet because I cant care for another animal at the moment. He says every week he will take it but he never does. Idont know if the cat has seen a vet in his life and I know that worms are common in kittens. One day I told my brother...if you officially say that the cat is mine I will take care of him, but if you refuse it its on you. After that I pretty much said, if I take the cat to the vet IT IS MINE and if I move out, hes coming with me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts