Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
Country Value
Diamond
Diamond Naturals
Premium Edge
Professional
4Health
Taste of the Wild

Recall is limited to product manufactured between December 9, 2011 through April 7, 2012 and distributed to 16 states and Canada

05/04/12

Diamond Pet Foods has issued a voluntary recall of limited batches of their Diamond and Diamond Naturals dry pet food formulas manufactured between December 9, 2011, and April 7, 2012 due to Salmonella concerns. Diamond Pet Foods apologizes for any potential issues this may have caused pet owners and their pets.

Although none of the products being recalled have tested positive for Salmonella, the company is pulling them from store shelves as a precaution. Diamond Pet Foods is coordinating efforts with federal and state health and regulatory agencies but decided to independently expand the recall to ensure the safety and well-being of customers and their pets.

To determine if your pet food is recalled, consumers should check the production codes on the back of bags. Any production codes that have a number “2” or a “3” in the 9th or 10th digit and an “X” in the 11th digit in the production code should be discarded. The best before dates are December 9, 2012, through April 7, 2013.

The recall affects only products distributed in the following U.S. states and Canada. Further distribution to other pet food channels may have occurred.

Alabama
Florida
Georgia
Indiana
Kentucky
Massachusetts
Maryland
Michigan
Mississippi
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Tennessee
Virginia
Canada

This is how things happen. Dribs and drabs of information trickle in over a period of days or weeks. This is why I read the consumer complaint boards on pet foods and take them seriously.

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also people getting sick from handling the affected pet foods:

http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/dog-food-05-12/index.html

A total of 14 individuals infected with the outbreak strain of Salmonella Infantis have been reported from 9 states.
The number of ill persons identified in each state is as follows: Alabama (1), Connecticut (1), Michigan (1), Missouri (3), North Carolina (3), New Jersey (1), Ohio (2), Pennsylvania (1), and Virginia (1).
Among the 9 patients with available information, 5 (56%) were hospitalized. No deaths have been reported.
Multiple brands of dry pet food produced by Diamond Pet Foods at a single manufacturing facility in South Carolina have been linked to some of the human Salmonella infections.

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some Kirkland foods are also on the list, cat as well as dog. Kirkland is the only cat food brand so far, the rest are all dog kibbles manufactured at the same South Carolina plant. I almost missed them, in this link

http://diamondpetrecall.com/diamond-expands-voluntary-recall/

The Kirkland Signature products included in the recall include:

Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Lamb, Rice & Vegetable Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
Kirkland Signature Super Premium Adult Dog Chicken, Rice & Vegetable Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
Kirkland Signature Super Premium Mature Dog Chicken, Rice & Egg Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Dog Formulated with Chicken & Vegetables (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
Kirkland Signature Super Premium Maintenance Cat Chicken & Rice Formula (Best Before December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
Kirkland Signature Super Premium Healthy Weight Cat Formula (December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)
Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain Salmon Meal & Sweet Potato Formula for Dogs (December 9, 2012 through January 31, 2013)

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This list has expanded again and now contains 11 brands, some include cat food, all are kibble formulas. The links (on the recall page, click on the brand and it will open a new link) will give you codes and dates and locations, so you can determine if the food you are feeding (if you use one of these brands) is part of the recall. If you have not saved the bag, call the company and they will instruct you on what to do.

http://diamondpetrecall.com/

Brands affected, so far

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
Country Value
Diamond
Diamond Naturals
Premium Edge
Professional
4Health
Taste of the Wild
Apex
Kirkland Signature/Kirkland Signature Nature’s Domain
Canidae

PS for some reason Wellness is not on the list in the link, but the wellness puppy food IS part of the recall.

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/news.aspx

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just found out: Natural Balance, which also is not on the list, is another, they are not manufactured by Diamond foods, but used the plant for some of their dog foods.

Natural Balance Pet Foods Inc.®

It is all foods coming from one specific plant, in South Carolina. Apparently the danger is more to humans who handle the food, than to the animals eating it. Animals, at least healthy ones, are not particularly endangered by the salmonella bacteria, supposedly. But I wouldn't want to take any chances, with my pets, anyway.

As long as I'm at it, I'll go ahead and post this link on complaints about Purina.

Consumer complaints about Purina Pet Foods

Even the so called "premium" companies really can't be trusted too far. This is why I feed a variety of brands, rotating daily, and I purchase cases far in advance of when I may need them. When I open a new case of canned food, it has been in my house at least three or four months. I hope this may help save my cats, if there is a recall of a particular batch, that I will hear about it before I feed it to my cats.

When I start a new batch I make note of that fact in my cat journal. "New Batch" is written in red ink and circled. :)

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Solid Gold added to the recall list.

Seems to me they ought to be posting this on their home product site. Not everyone uses facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Solid-Gold-Health-Products-for-Pets-Inc/205937222776518

Again, like the others who are not made by Diamond, but only use the plant for certain foods, not all Solid gold foods are affected. Read the link and check your food against the information provided.

Actually, on second thought, since not everyone belongs to facebook I will post the information here

May 7, 2012
Just a few hours ago, Solid Gold received information that two batches of our foods were made at the Diamond Gaston plant around the same time period as some of the previously recalled foods of other brands. Though we have had zero complaints about these particular batches, we have decided to recall them as a precautionary measure. Due to the time difference between us and the appropriate FDA office, there was not enough time in the day to further discuss this voluntary recall with the FDA. We are announcing this now because we know our customers are concerned and didn’t want an entire night to go by without this information being available to the public. Tomorrow morning (May 8th), after speaking with the FDA, Solid Gold will officially institute a voluntary recall of two batches of food made at the Diamond Gaston facility.
The following products will be part of this voluntary precautionary recall. Only the two foods with this particular best before date and batch code will be part of the recall.
Solid Gold WolfKing Large Breed Adult Food:
All sizes
Best before December 30, 2012
Batch code starting with SGL1201

Solid Gold WolfCub Large Breed Puppy Food
All Sizes
Best before December 30, 2012
Batch code starting with SGB1201

No other Solid Gold products are affected.
We greatly apologize for any concern and inconvenience this may cause and greatly thank you for your patience. Further information will be available in the official recall tomorrow morning. As always, please contact us at 800-364-4863 or [email protected] with any questions and we will

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Corrected date code for Natural Balance

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - May 11, 2012 - On May 4, 2012, Natural Balance Pet Foods announced a voluntary recall of certain dry pet food formulas manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods at their Gaston, South Carolina facility. Link to original press release: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm303042.htm

The original press release contained a typographical error in the Best By Date of one of the products listed. It stated a Best By Date of March 12, 2013 when it should have been March 13, 2013.

The incorrect Best By Date listed was:

5 LB Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Venison Dog UPC# 7-23633-88650-5
Lot Code NBH0103 Best By Date: March 12, 2013

The correct Best By Date is:

5 LB Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Venison Dog UPC# 7-23633-88650-5
Lot Code NBH0103 Best By Date: March 13, 2013
Complete info here:

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm303918.htm?source=govdelivery

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Thanks for keeping this updated, I'm sure others appreciate it :). There's no serious danger to healthy pets (with this recall) but the humans definitely need to be careful.

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another food added to the list complete information here:

http://diamondpet.com/information/

Diamond Naturals Small Breed Adult Dog Lamb & Rice Formula samples, 6 pound and 18 pound bag sizes, manufactured on Aug. 26, 2011,

Production Code & Best Before Dates:

DSL0801, 26-Aug-2012

DSL0801, 26-Aug-2012

DSL0801, 27-Sept- 2012 (Product manufactured on Aug. 26, 2011 and packaged on Sept. 27, 2011)

DSL0801, 18-Oct- 2012 (Product manufactured on Aug. 26, 2011 and packaged on Oct. 18, 2011)

DSL0801, (Samples)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts