Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

As you may know, I'm from Norway.
I recently was very surprised by the prices in USA.

A Chihuahua puppy may cost about 650$ or something.
I don't know how usual that is, but on the AKC website I found some puppies that costs between 400$ and 650$.

Here in Norway a Chihuahua puppy (that is registered in the Norwegian Kennel Club and etc) can cost between 2597$ and 3463$. Sometimes they can cost 4328$.
That's quite a price! :)

Some ppl thought it was because in Norway we don't have as many stray dogs as in USA?

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Its also a much smaller country and i assume a lot less animals in it. You can find "breeders" here that don't try an make better animals that are purebred from $100-1000 it depends on where and what not but mostly if people will buy it they will charge it.

Chihuahua's may be a lot more common here too. More breeders less demand.

Some dog breeds here are really pricey as they are really rare.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Here in Canada,chihuahuas can go from about $200-$1000.I have seen ads for all different prices.But remember not ALL breeders are reputable or good quality.
I guess price depends on the breeder.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah.
Some ppl thought that ppl (on a general basis) make more money here in Norway. That they tend to have higher paid jobs?
And therefore 20 000 Norwegian kroner or about 3500$ isn't as much money here in Norway as in USA?

Many ppl here in Norway breed Chihuahuas or Chihuahua mixes just for money :(
And they are sold for ca 1700 $.

But the real breeders that breed high quality dogs will sell the dogs for 2500$ - 4200$.
If they're "perfect". (Two testicles, correct bite and etc).

The cheapest Chihuahua I've seen here was sold for about 1000$ (adult dog).

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
That's ridiculous. I guess it tones down on bad people buying them though. If one is serious about getting a chihuahua then they have to save for quite some time to get it! And 3'500$ is tonnes of money! My bf wants a french mastiff and they sell here for 1'200$ that's half the price of a chi there in Norway for a dog 25X its size!! lol

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah.
I don't know the price of french mastiff here in Norway, but I've seen some adult dogs beeing sold for 500$-870$.

I heard some ppl talking about a German Shepherd dog being sold for 5000$.
(Great dog with lots of titles and etc!).

The most "expencive" dogbreeds here in Norway must be:
Pomeranian (3100$-3770$)
and English Bulldog (ca 3141$)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Yeah.
I don't know the price of french mastiff here in Norway, but I've seen some adult dogs beeing sold for 500$-870$.

I heard some ppl talking about a German Shepherd dog being sold for 5000$.
(Great dog with lots of titles and etc!).

The most "expencive" dogbreeds here in Norway must be:
Pomeranian (3100$-3770$)
and English Bulldog (ca 3141$)
The German Shepherd breeder I was talking to and looking into sells his dogs for about $1,200.And he is reputable,does all the testing and even does Schutzhund and things like that with his dogs.They are good quality.

$5000? Yikes.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
The price of dogs can depend on a lot of things. It can be based on how common the breed is, the quality of the individual dog, temperament, whims of the breeders, etc.

If I'd have to guess, I'd say that chi's are probably usually on the cheaper end even for a well bred one here because they are pretty common in the US. A breeder can charge whatever he/she wants for a puppy, but if people can go out and find countless similar puppies for much cheaper, then the breeder with the higher prices isn't going to sell many puppies.

If someone can charge high prices for something and people will pay those prices, then they are going to charge more to try to make more of a profit. If, on the other hand, they know that if they charge more than it will be a lot less likely that that puppy sells, then the prices will probably drop. It's all what people are willing to pay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts