Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Do bunnies have good memory?

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Purple-Hops 
#1 ·
I am going home to america for a month and a half, and my boyfriend will be watching over benji and so will my housemates. anyways, I will miss the little bun like crazy! I struggled leaving her for a weekend! Will she remember me? Has anyone had to leave there bunny for an amount of time? She is just now getting so she comes almost every time I call her, and when she hears my voice perks up and such so I dont want her to think I am abandoning her and forget about me :(

#2 ·
I think it depends on familiarity with bunnies. Unfortunately, I believe she might not care too much that you're gone as long as she's being cared for. I think she will fall into the new schedule. Bunnies are equipped to survive, therefore, adaptation to new situations is crucial to their survival. (like any species). Unlike dogs, or even cats- bunnies form a different kind of bond to their caretaker. I'm afraid you will miss her more than she does you... :( Sorry.

In that sense, and using my own argument, once you come home and begin primary care she will recognize your voice and most likely respond in a positive way :)

I only think this way (not actually going by any extensive scientific studies or anything :p) bc when I acquired Akina from my cousin she fell straight into my lifestyle, partly by necessity and partly bc my lifestyle was better than what she had, and did not show any interest a couple weeks after when my cousin visited her. So I figured it must be because of preference and familiarity (at that point she had just become used to me rather than my cousin).. Also, the rescue bunnies fall very quickly into new routines and seem quite comfortable- even the one that lived in a hamster cage o_O

So, have fun in America and try not to humanize Benji to the point of feeling like she's in dire depression because of your abscence. :p Bless you both!!

#3 ·
I had the same fear when I left Speckle at the rescue to get bonded with Simon, I missed her terribly and I was scared she may not know me, but this was only for a week, I think Benji should be fine, and I agree with Purple-Hops, I'm sure she wont really care and when you get back she wont act any different, Speckle was the same brat as always :) have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.