Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Do you have a veware of dog sign

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm just curious as to how many or us have beware of dog signs on our fences or the front of our houses.

I use to have one,I'm not sure if its still there or not (lol) in the front window by the door because I bought it one day at the dollar store randomly and I had one that I made on the gate to stop the stupid neighbor from going in our backyard to grab a toy

they throw over of something (ask before you randomly walk into a persons back yard seriously it scares the crap outta people) and I didn't want them letting my dogs out or because I dog sit and sometimes have aggressive dogs I didn't want them letting

those dogs out or the dogs bitting them.And then I had another sign so the roofers knew to ask before they went into to backyard because that time I have a HUGE dog and another male aggressive dog.That sign died don't know what happened to it.

So do YOU have a beware of dog sign?

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
I have a "Beware of Attack Rabbit" sign on my hutch, adn a "Beware of Attack Crab" sign on my hermies tank! Does that count? :giggle:

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have 3 signs. One on the gate into the front yard, one on the gate into the back yard and one on the side of the fence where it is quite easy to see.

My dogs never bit anybody, but if they do they were warned in advance and it covers me legally.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
nope my big lab speaks for himself, people who don't know us are a little afraid of him and people that do bring him treats to win him over

·
Dinky Corsetkisser
4,020 Posts
We have one on the gate, as well as an old leash "locking: the gate closed, we have one one the other side of the house by the neighbors, just in case anyone tries to jump it, and we have 2 at the back fance facing the back (we back against a school) so no kids try to come over after a ball or what not, we also have one at the door as well as rules posted for greeting the dogs lol...its not that my dogs are mean (they will defend the yard if they feel threatned) its more for my dogs safety, maybe if they think I got mean dogs they will avoid the yard and not hurt my babies, but none of my dogs are out there alone at any time, living in this area is dangerous so we protect them big time

3 weeks ago while I was letting them out, Leia went charging the back gate, I went running after her, she had a shoe in her mouth and the guy was running through the school, the police went running by and one stopped and explained the guy was going to run through our yard to get away, but my dog chased him right back to the cops...he laughed at the poor choice of yards since I had multiple large signs lol and none of the other houses did

·
Registered
544 Posts
When I was younger and lived in my old house, there was on on the gate to the backyard and the front door, left there by the previous owners. We only had cats. x3

And now we have a dog, but we don't have a sign.

·
Registered
968 Posts
No I don't because it could be grounds for a law suit... If you are telling people to beware of your dog (with a sign) and then someone is bit by your dog it's like you have already admitted you have a dangerous dog and they have a good basis for a lawsuit against you (you basically would have no defense since you already admitted to the dangerous dog with the sign).

I am thinking of getting a sign that has a picture of a dog on it but without the words 'Beware of Dogs' to let people know that there may be a dog in the gated area.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine wouldn't be useful, hahah.

·
Dinky Corsetkisser
4,020 Posts
where I live it keeps you clear of a lawsuit, it shows you warned "strangers" first before trespassing in an inclosed yard...you are required to have them if near a school, so we have to, and we also wanted to so that people will avoid our yard...both neighbors were robbed, we have never been...I feel better when people think my 4 cowards are brave enough to protect us lol

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
Well, we don't have one, Indie does get protective of the house and barks, but never makes a big deal.
Also, we have permission from our landlord on paper and if he was aggressive or we needed a sign, we may need permission to actually put up a sign and if we asked (than like Leo basically said) my landlord might think my dog is aggressive.
It is good to have a sign to let people know about your dog though, we may need one yet, ya never know.
xx

·
Registered
39 Posts
We don't have one because if someone sees a 90 lbs dog & is not cautious they need to rethink for their own protection no matter what the dog is. If they know Zander they know he may try to jump on them to get some attention, but nothing more. Casey is maybe 20 lbs soaking wet & would just lick the person to death.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
we dont have a sign up and never really did,right now though the landlord doesnt exactly know we have a dog....we signed the lease as having 2 cats,but the guy that showed the place to mom was told we have a dog and he told her not to add it to the lease-so its a verbal lease on coco LOL- when he was yoonger though,and lived in the ghetto part of the city(not in ranks of big toronto or new york) kids used to tease him and he did get out a few times and bit a few of them...but they had what was coming! nothing follwed suit from those incidents he quieted down and will only go after skateboards and screaming(loud) kids.

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
A sign is just a sign, it won't stop people from suing you, possibly successfully. Having a biting dog is a lawsuit waiting to happen, regardless of whether it happens on your property or someone elses. Signs do not free you of responsibility, or the threat of a lawsuit.

They might reduce your punitive damages, but not your liability. If you have a dog that is a threat, be sure you check your insurance policy. It is possible that under certain circumstances (for instance: you being aware that your dog has bitten people in the past) your insurance may not cover your legal costs or settlements made against you.

This is a tricky issue, state laws can affect your coverage and your liability. You should know what would happen in a 'worst case' situation.

Bob

·
Registered
420 Posts
That's true, Mygala. One way you can get some advice is to call whoever does your home insurance and ask how they cover dogs. If it is an apartment, the property will have insurance for residents that would cover your animals. Ask the apartment manager. I got the information where I am and they said the sign warns the person entering the property, it can also cut down on burglaries, and so while it may not stop a lawsuit, it goes a long way in showing proof of responsibility, especially if the bite happens inside the yard/house and the dog is not running loose.

A dog with a history of biting is considered aggressive and yes, that would count against the owner, but a sign in general is a good warning that there is an animal, whether it has ever bitten or not.

One of my neighbors is a cop, and I brought this up with him, and he said if someone complains about a dog biting them, the sign can make a difference in charges being filed in some cases against the owner, too. If a police report is filed for the purpose of a lawsuit, the finding of the police is very important.

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
we dont have a sign up and never really did,right now though the landlord doesnt exactly know we have a dog....we signed the lease as having 2 cats,but the guy that showed the place to mom was told we have a dog and he told her not to add it to the lease-so its a verbal lease on coco LOL- when he was yoonger though,and lived in the ghetto part of the city(not in ranks of big toronto or new york) kids used to tease him and he did get out a few times and bit a few of them...but they had what was coming! nothing follwed suit from those incidents he quieted down and will only go after skateboards and screaming(loud) kids.
You are really running a risk here. Since it's not on the lease (verbal doesn't mean anything), you could be really screwed if your dog were to bite someone. The landlord's insurance would most likely refuse to cover anything that isn't on the lease, and if you have renter's insurance, they might also try to drop you because you were doing something outside the lease agreement.

I would definitely check with whoever is insuring you, to make sure they cover dogs and damages caused by dogs. Because your dog has a history, you are open to punitive damages. Not sure of the laws where you are, but here if you are without insurance, you could lose everything you own.

Bob

·
Dinky Corsetkisser
4,020 Posts
my dogs have never biten anyone, and probably never would, they are never out unattended (unless someone has to go to the restroom real fadt) they are inside dogs, but our signs are for our dogs safety, we live in a very very bad area, and I hope that while we are out there the signs might just deter the crazy people here from climbing our fence...its so crazy here where I live.

I was always told that signs were more to try and scare people then to really have a mean dog...but you never know, I do hope mine work and maybe the people will stay away, 7 of our neighbors have been robbed, luckily we have not been yet, but our car was broken into 4 times in our driveway...police say we are in a bad spot cause the highway is right there so its easy to hit and run...so maybe my signs are helping a little lol

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
here, i'm pretty sure if someone goes into your yard if it is fenced, and anyone that comes in your house that is unwelcome, then you aren't liable for your dog biting, as they are considered to be watch dogs

however, if you don't have a fenced yard and your dog is out they aren't covered you have to have a fence

1 - 20 of 77 Posts