Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is a photo of my friends Emporer Scorpion. I really like this guy or girl? Just wondering who else has these and what they enjoy about them. I am not going to own one right now but I am lucky to be have a friend that has one and I can enjoy his :)

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
OMG, I want one of those reaaaaally bad! XD Ive been wanting one for a few years, bu tI don think my mom would be to happy about one... Im already pushing it with my millipede ;)
I didnt know that you could hold them tho... I thought they just had to stay in their cage for some reason...
Bu tthats sooper cool your friend has one :D

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Nice looking scorp!
I am getting one this month actually.
I have wanted one and researched them for yrs.
I even have a scorpion tattooed on my upper back.

Anyway as a little b-day gift for myself...I am going to get one this month.My b-day is the 25th.

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I keep tarantulas& have 2 more coming this month...not going to get into scorpions til November :D (I wants to get a few more tarantulas that are a bit more costly first ;) )

Love the pic!

·
Curmudgeon
1,843 Posts
Emperors (Pandinus sp) are pretty easy to keep and breed. Read up on them, as most pet stores I've been in have no clue as to how to keep them. I've even seen them on sand like they are a desert species! They need a high humidity as they live in burrows and under rocks in areas of Africa that are almost like a rain forest.

You should also be careful before you try to handle them. There are other species of scorpions sold as Emperors that are large and black like Emperors, but they don't have the tolerance for being handled that you find in most Emperors. For most people, a sting might be similar to a wasp sting.

Breeding them is especially cool, as the babies will spend time on the mother's back. I've seen females kill crickets and hold them while the babies crawled down her claws to feed. Few invertebrates show any maternal care, so it's actually pretty impressive to see something like this.

Bob

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great info thanks Mygala. This Scorpion came from a breeder so I am comfortable with the assumption it is the right one but I have seen one that looked almost the same the same owner of this one had.. I am trying to remember the name but am drawing a blank... either way it looked almost similar but was extremely aggressive when the owner showed him to me. We did not try to aggravate him or try to pick him up but it was interesting to see the immediate aggression shown in comparison to this species!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts