Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[SIZE=+2][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-0][SIZE=-0][SIZE=-0][SIZE=-0][SIZE=-0]Has anyone ever tried this stuff called PawMax hip and joint chews? Its a supplement for dogs that has glucosomine and chrondroitin (sp?)in it.
My neighbor has been gving it to her Lab for years and swears it's why her dog hasn't suffered from hip and joint pain.I just bought some on pawmax.com but I also found it cheaper on Amazon (wish I would have seen that first). Any feedback on this supplement would be great.
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
I don't know anything about that brand, but I do know that in general glucosamine/chondroitin supplements are good effective treatments for dogs suffering from mild to moderate arthritis.

Has your dog been to the vet for this? That's really the best place to start. You want to make sure there isn't something else going on before you start any home treatments.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing is wrong with my dog but I am using the supplement as a preventative. Just like us I was planning to prevent a problem before it starts. I talked to my vet and he said its a great supplement for that.
Thanks for the reply

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
yeah I get treats that have the same ingredients mentions above and within two weeks of giving them to harley he was active as he was two years ago and still is. I got a vet to check it first. but he even said that I can give it to diesel once hes over a yr old as a preventative and good hip/joint health.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Ask your vet on the correct dose of gluco-chon mix. Coco was 30lbs and taking 500mg dose. So I bet it would be more for a larger dog. I was giving the supplement to Coco for a couple of months and he still developed arthritis pretty bad. I learned my lesson, start as early as possible for supplements like that. It's not used as a treatment but as preventative method. Now Coco takes meloxicam to treat his pain, it's an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug) and available in brand name Metacam. So if you're looking for pain relief go for something stronger than gluco-chon supplement. I simply got my vet to write a prescription for generic brands which I get a compunding pharmacy to make for a way cheaper price!

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I just wanted to add that chicken feet are naturally rich in the same things and are also a fun treat :). My dogs love chicken feet (and duck feet, which I recently found!).

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
still though, glucosamine is not a medicine. It's a supplement to help coat joints in long term, not as a proactive measure. Just wanted to remind the OP

·
Registered
802 Posts
I heard good testimonials regarding this product too but to be sure, visit your vet first for consultation for their might be a side effect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nothing is wrong with my dog but I am using the supplement as a preventative. Just like us I was planning to prevent a problem before it starts. I talked to my vet and he said its a great supplement for that.
Thanks for the reply
Prevention is key! we dont just take vitamins and supplements when something is wrong with us, we use them daily to help keep us healthy. it is no different for our pets.:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don’t know anything about that brand but as I read, for the dog's arthritis, glucosamine and chondroitin is a good supplement that offer a more protective effect to the cartilage surface.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts