Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm new here so please correct me if i'm in the wrong thread,i was wondering if anybody could give me feedback on my dog and it's breed,he is supposed to be an american staffordshire pit bull,but i'm not too sure...maybe you guys can figure it out ;P Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
definetly looks like a brindle pit

·
laugh often
1,690 Posts
I agree with the reest of the members on the breed. I jsut had to say what a cutie!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, but No.....I mean Know :D

My friend has a very similar looking dog....( but w splashes of white )

You'd NEVER guess but he's half Labrador!

If you want to "KNOW" for sure try this genetic test.
canineheritage.com

it's like $55

Might tell you something you already know but give you a piece of mind...or even boggle your mind and find out he's half lab....hahahaaaaaaaa

Another good test to run is an allergy test. Even if your dogs not showing symptoms. Doesn't mean he's not fighting it, which would leave his immune system compromised to fight off other problems.

IMHO

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm with INFIDEL about the DNA test. A lot of dogs look like pits (Staffies, APBT, bulldogs, etc.) and you could have a mix, even if it looks like just 1 breed.

I got a DNA test for one of my dogs and it was really interesting! It not only explained her looks but a lot of how she acts too. Really cool to see!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've been thinking about doing DNA testing on our newest pup too. I'd be interested to see how your results came back.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Honestly i don't understand the point of a DNA test for breeds of dogs, i would say there is likely pit in that dog so that could limit the cities that you can live in. but other than that you don't get much useful information. Every once and a while the results don't make sense. Check out this dog on petfinder:
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/18985569?rvp=1
No one would say that is a Schnauzer boston terrier but the DNA test they claim they did. He still won't be allowed to live in some cities because he looks like a pit, and i would likely say he is a pit.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
wow!! lol that's like last year the owners had a contest to guess the breeds of the store's mascot mutt Jake. The guesses cost 2$ each which went to BeaglePaws. Anyway, in the end the DNA concluded this dog was poodle/ something else totally non-terrier. This dog's DNA test astounded me.

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Amanda I remember that,it said that Jake was husky and something else...but no terrier,which he clearly has.

And Kendalle,that dog in the link you shared looks like a pit mix...these DNA tests are not very good.

Oh and in another forum I am on,misses had DNA tests done on her dogs and I forget what the tests said now,I should go back and look for that thread...but her dogs didn't look ANYTHING like what the DNA said they were! I personally would not put much trust in the DNA tests.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I don't understand why a shelter would do a dna test on a dog. it is money not well spent. I assume the owners dumped the dog with the dna test? which is also weird, and could be a different dog.

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
I guess the shelter might have had something to make the tests cheap. Maybe a volunteer donated them?? It would make a pit-looking dog more adoptable perhaps?

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
A DNA test would not give results because, technically, Pit Bulls do not exist. There used to be a Pit Bull like dog but it became extinct in the 1800s' I believe.
The Pit Bull we know today is usually a cross between an American Staffordshire Terrier and Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
They look almost the same but the Staff Bull has more of a Bull Dog stance. That is also why some Pit Bulls are short and some are tall.
It is for sure a Brindle pattern though. Beautiful dog. :)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
You are right,the word "pit bull" is a term,not a breed. It is used to name a number of "bully breeds"...American pitbull terrier,Staffordshire bull terrier,American staffordshire terrier and mixes are often referred to as "pit bulls"...

I was just in this conversation with someone the other day,because she thought a "pit bull" was a breed and was arguing with me.

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
Yeah I have had those same conversations.
Or when I see an ad on Craigslist or the newspaper that says they have AKC papered Pit Bulls. lol

1 - 20 of 25 Posts