Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:scratch: Okay, so I need some help here. Gumbo eats an allergy diet, so it's been several years since I've done any research on dog food and now I need something for Creole to eat when he comes home.

What brands are good? Those of you who don't know me, I fed Gumbo Wellness before we discovered his allergies, so I'm not headed for a cheap brand here. I just haven't kept up on the good brands.

I'm going to be in a very small town, so something widely available or available at feed stores even would be good.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I feed Innova to my dogs :). If you can get EVO that's even better.

I usually check to make sure at least three of the first four ingredients are meat. I also make sure there aren't tons of fillers, corn, soy, wheat, or by-products.

I'm guessing you mostly feed dry food, right? I don't really feed much wet food so I don't know what brands are best. Usually I pick Wysong or something.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:yes: I would prefer a dry dog food. It looks like I can get some Natura brands within about 15 miles. I'll make some phone calls, see what they have. :D

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
My parent's westie has meat and wheat allergies, and they use Natural Balance Vegan food with good success. They do have all sorts of other formulations, depending on what your pup's needs are.

Here's a link for the ultra premium allergy formula page.

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance® Allergy Formulas for Dogs and Cats

Note: FYI, some of the venison products are affected by the recall, I think.

My friend at work has a pug who is allergic to everything but chicken and rice, so she's using the Canidae chicken rice formula. They have other formulations available as well.

Canidae® Pet Foods: All Life Stages: Dry: Chicken & Rice

Both of these brands are available even in my small town, so very well might be available to you.

Edited to add cautionary note about natural balance as some products are affected by recall. My parents are still using it with good success; just some formulations had to be pulled.

·
Obsessed With Turtles
3,463 Posts
I feed Royal Canin (I came to this decision after your help in food research a few years back, but you knew that haha) ... I like the fact that there are NO by-products in it. My animals (cats & puppy) do very well on it. I also like that fact that it is geared towards a variety of different animal situations as well. :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
i dont really know b/c our chihuahua only eats wet food but when we had pit bulls we fed them benifulls how ever you spell it but its kinda cheap what you could do is find out what hes being fed now and just stick to that brand b/c some dogs dont take well to food change but not all dogs are the same sorry im not much help but good luck on your food search

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
If your dog has food allergies than stuff like Innova, Timberwolf, Canidae, Nature's Variety etc. are going to be too big of a ingredients list. While these are all great foods, they have way to much variety for a dog with allergies and can acutally end up making symptoms worse.

My German Shepherd has pretty bad food allergies and he is on California Natural (made by Natura, same people that make Innova) You want a food that has ONE protien source and ONE Carbohydrate source. Wellness has a line of food called simple food solutions. They have Duck, and Venison Formulas. DVP's Natural Balance also has a allergy 1 protien 1 carb formula....Good Luck!!!

Check out Our Dogs Online: Viewing the portal page talk to Mordanna, she is a expert on allergies, dog food etc. she'll be able to help you!!

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Riddick, I just got a NEW puppy, so I'm asking for him. My other pup is already on an allergy diet (duck). Thanks though!

·
Registered
199 Posts
OHHHHHHhhhhhHHHHHH, sorry I misread!!! lol...a high quality food for a pup with no allergies or anything...I'd do Innova EVO. High protien, low carb, no grain!! Congrats on bringing home gimpy puppy!!!

·
Poo dont scare me!!!
3,758 Posts
We have been feeding Canidae again because they even have it at Pet Supplies Plus here now. Before we could only find it in two feed stores around the city, but now they are selling it all over, so we switched back. :)

·
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes
2,934 Posts
I have been using Newmans Own. I also switched the cats but it seems that Tyler was allergic to him so I switched him back to his old food Purina sensitive system and he's fine again.
I kept the dogs on Newmans Own. I like that they use human grade ingredients and free range chickens.
I am thinking of switching to dachshund eukanuba. I am having a horrible problem with Belle's weight. I don't blame Newmans Own since I just switched to that in early April.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
We feed Nutro. We love it their poop is so much easier to clean up and with that big dog you are going to have man size terds (I have a 65 pound dog so I am familiar with this :) and...our feed store in town sells Nutro:) The price isn't much more than the cheap grocery store stuff!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts