Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with all of the things popping up with dogs, we decided to open our heart to one in need. This decision has been going on for a while and most of the strays are now being picked up by animal control.

We opened our hearts to a six month old female named Luna. She is a half mystery mutt (it is known that her mom is chihuahua x dachshund but her dad is just noted as some terrier) and...quite the gal. Right now she is just being shy but is getting there.

Spyro is normally a very people dog. He doesn't care to cuddle with dogs unless it is bedtime. He absolutely LOVES her. In fact, they're cuddling right now!

Loki liked her...till I let her in the house?

I have never had such a butthead of a dog. They were introduced earlier in a neutral place specifically FOR Loki. They played till they got tired and then her mom said goodbye to her. Loki and Luna exchanged play bows in our yard and again got tired. Now we're in the house and everyone is napping...but Loki is treating Luna like a leper now.

I'm pretty sure he did the same to Spyro when we introduced them (Spyro was at my grandparent's house and Loki was at the in-laws where I was staying for another week.) I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong. Loki just doesn't want to be near her at all.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
What is he doing exactly? Avoiding her? Or is he showing signs of aggression?

Taking both dogs on a walk together might help, I usually do that with new fosters :). But what to do depends more on what Loki is doing.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just avoidance. She comes near and he walks away but in an awkward stance. Ears are slightly back and tail is hung low, not quite tucked in between his legs. He went to get a drink of water not too long ago and she went up to sniff him. He just slowly walked into his box (aka crate.)

She hasn't tried to play with him or anything. I think being out all day + new home + vaccinations = being tired out. Most of my dogs are lethargic after vaccinations and her now previous owner gave her the last booster before we met up.

Spyro is in his box now. Loki is curled up next to me and Luna is sleeping by my boyfriend's leg. Its pretty cold in here so I think Spyro and Loki are just staying warm at the moment.

Loki used to be ok with dogs till our landlord brought over his dane, Nitro. I imagine how terrifying this dog is to a much smaller dog. On top of that, Nitro got excited and stepped on him a few times. Ever since then, Loki doesn't quite open up to new dogs like he used to especially when they are bigger than him. Luna is probably like an inch or two smaller than Spyro so not much bigger than a 2 liter soda at the shoulder.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Then I wouldn't be concerned yet, just give it some time :). Just watch that Luna doesn't harass him as he could end up snapping out of fear. I think he'll get used to her.

Our Cockers are used to dogs coming in and out constantly but they tend to avoid new dogs at first. They're kind of snobby :lol:. But anyways, they get used to them after a while and the fosters become part of the pack.

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far Luna is a daddy's girl but maybe thats because Loki is a mama's boy and is a typical clingy chihuahua.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts