Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I'm due for a doggie update :). Everyone is doing fine and enjoying the nice fall weather. Gracie turned 13 in October and while she spends most of her time sleeping, she still loves walks and chasing bubbles (we found this out by accident!).

In my last update I was fostering a JRT mix named Lily. She was adopted over the summer and is doing awesome in her new home. Since then, we've fostered a few more...

First, meet Grits! He was a Pug mix that we had very briefly...he was quickly adopted as a family dog to a home with kids that adore him. He had some marking issues when we got him but was a pretty easy-going guy.

After Grits went home, we got Korra, a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier. She's shaved in the picture because her coat was really dirty and matted on intake. She was pretty young (I'd guess about six months) so she was crazy at times, ha, and had very little focus on training :p. But she was a sweetheart and loved to play. Frozen Kongs (stuffed with peanut butter or ground meat) and pork necks kept her busy, thankfully. She went home with someone familiar with the breed, which is always good.

Now we have Rumba, a Pomeranian/Japanese Chin mix. We've had him for a while...no applications yet :(. He's a total lap dog. He just demands one walk a day and then all he wants is to snuggle and/or be held. He's the most easiest going dog I've ever met...you can seriously handle him however you want and he tolerates even the most obnoxious dogs at the park. He's up for anything and nothing seems to get him upset. Rumba is such a happy dog considering what he went through. He was found as an emaciated stray with severe dental disease, chipped teeth, puncture wounds in various spots, and ear infections...plus eye discharge and a patchy coat from food allergies. His allergies were so severe and he had lost so much fur that I didn't bother trying kibble or canned food. He's been on prey model raw since I brought him home and had zero problems transitioning. His coat has grown back, his ear infections went away, and he no longer has any allergy symptoms except at PetCo (allergic to the animals or bedding there, maybe?). He loves his meals and hasn't hesitated once, even when offered slimy organs. Well, besides the mouse I offered...no interest in that :crylaugh:. I think Gracie is the only dog who actually likes mice.

Rumba:

Rumba with Bambi:

Some other dog pics:

Sophie hates getting her picture taken so this was the best I could do. After this, she had her eyes closed in all the photos or was looking away from the camera, ha.

Gracie, the senior:

I'm going to make a separate thread later with pictures of Rumba at the park.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Thanks for your big heart for them, very very sweet dogs! ;)

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
Aw, bless your heart. Look at them all. Glad the first 2 found homes. Poor RUmba! I can't believe he's so willing to love afterall that. Shows the determination of dogs, god love them <3 I hope Rumba finds his forever home soon, in the meantime he's safe and sound with a great person!

ps, I know he's a less adoptable dog bc of his underbite (society is so mean, rejecting what they create) but could the raw diet thing scare some people into not meeting him as well?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aw, bless your heart. Look at them all. Glad the first 2 found homes. Poor RUmba! I can't believe he's so willing to love afterall that. Shows the determination of dogs, god love them <3 I hope Rumba finds his forever home soon, in the meantime he's safe and sound with a great person!

ps, I know he's a less adoptable dog bc of his underbite (society is so mean, rejecting what they create) but could the raw diet thing scare some people into not meeting him as well?
Nah, it's not like people are going to know he's on a raw diet by looking at him :lol:. Besides, if someone is that close-minded with diets (I can understand having questions or being nervous and am happy to help with that) then I wouldn't want them to adopt a dog with severe food allergies ;). He's going to need to stay on raw (homemade or pre-made) or at LEAST be on a meat-based canned diet (like EVO). He scratches non-stop, loses fur, tears up, and gets ear infections even on "high-quality" kibbles. Even some of the pre-made raw diets don't work for him...Stella and Chewy's made him itchy.

In the past I haven't had any issues with adopters knowing I feed raw, anyway. Most just want to keep the dog on the same diet or close to it. A lot of them do end up switching to a commercial diet but are happy to get my recommendations :).

·
Betta Bomb
5,202 Posts
:) I thought something like "special diet requirements" would be on his online file or something. Sometimes the shelters here make a note of it so people know beforehand. It creates room for close mindedness and discrimination but the 2 shelters I know of that use it are no-kill foster home based shelters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts