Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my rant of the week. I'm just floored.

Kalea went to get spayed and the vet told me to give her TYLENOL for the pain. TYLENOL?!?!?! I was shocked. Last I checked tylenol was a no no for dogs.

Anyway, that's my tirade

· Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that is EXACTLY what i thought!! Thank god i have some common dog sense otherwise my girl would be at the emergency vet fighting for her life or dead.

· Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the actual vet...... that's why i was so floored. :mad2:

No worries, been screaming at him all evening. He swears its safe. FOOL!! I'm half tempted to report him to the board.

This is just another GOOD thing about the forum. You can always get good info before doing something if you are in doubt.

THanks Jade

· Registered
4,887 Posts
What a moron! Urgh!!! Did he prescribe something else instead? or more, will another vet prescribe something else instead? Roxie was spayed and they gave her...shoot, I can't remember and I don't have any left, but I KNOW it wasn't Tylenol!

· Registered
8,901 Posts
I grabbed our drug manual and looked it up. Here's what it said:

Occasionally used as an oral analgesic in dogs.

Contraindications/Precautions/Reproductive Safety: Dogs do not metabolize acetaminophen as well as humans and its use must be judicious. In dogs, it is generally not recommended to use acetaminophen during the immediate post-operative phase (first 24 hrs) due to an increased risk of hepatotoxicity (liver toxicity) developing.

Adverse Effects/Warnings:
Because acetaminophen is not routinely used in veterinary medicine, experience on its adverse effect profile is limited. At suggested dosages in dogs, there is some potential for renal (kidney), hepatic (liver), GI and hematologic effects occurring.

Doses:
15 mg/kg PO every 8 hours (Dodman 1992); (McLaughlin 2000)
10 mg/kg PO every 12 hours (Kelly 1995)
Interestingly enough, it also has doses for rabbits, mice, rats, gerbils, hamsters, guinea pigs, and chinchillas but does not mention side effects or warnings. I wouldn't touch it for my pets ...

Chrisanne, how much does she weigh?

· Registered
2,235 Posts
Wow! That is something! You know though, today a client came in and he has a dog that is cryptorchid and he said his other vet at another clinic said he shouldn't worry about it. We told him he needed to have his dog neutered ASAP just for that and many other reasons. Geeze, not all DVMs are smart. That's awful... I admire my boss, he is sooo smart, he is very well educated, thank Goodness. All the vets I work with are. :D I feel fortunate to work with them.

G

·
Tylenol is extremely safe for rats. Most all of mine have had tylenol at one point in their life and I use it regularly. For dogs though, I just cannot believe he recommended that.

Just wanted to chime in though that it's safe for Rats. :winky:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.