Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my hedgehog has ear mite but I am not sure how she would have gotten them as she hasnt been outside yet. Her ears look sort of chewed on. I am planning on taking her to the vet to get it checked out, but I thought I would try and get an idea of what it was before going in to the vet. What kind of treatment would they give her for ear mites, I read that symptoms could be her tilting her head to one side, which she isnt doing, her ears have looked a little dry and rigid from the day she came home.. any help would be appreciated.

·
she-mayor of Whoville
289 Posts
I think my hedgehog has ear mite but I am not sure how she would have gotten them as she hasnt been outside yet. Her ears look sort of chewed on. I am planning on taking her to the vet to get it checked out, but I thought I would try and get an idea of what it was before going in to the vet. What kind of treatment would they give her for ear mites, I read that symptoms could be her tilting her head to one side, which she isnt doing, her ears have looked a little dry and rigid from the day she came home.. any help would be appreciated.
Do you by chance bathe her? I bathe my hedgehog with oatmeal baths like Aveeno for babies, which both moisturize their skin and rid their skin/quills/fur of any bugs or mites.

If you don't bathe her, do consider it, it really helps their health. Good luck!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Many young hedgies come from the breeder or pet shop and already have tiny skin mites on their ears. Years ago we treated this with a tiny drop of Ivermectin, but it is best to check with your vet for a proper diagnosis.
Is the animal on dust-free and very clean bedding?
good luck !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts