Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Umm, is this for real?

GREEN IGUANA

The Green Iguana (Iguana iguana) is the most commonly seen large Amazon reptile. It is the subject of scientific research for its potential to replace cattle ranching as a sustainable source of meat. It is said to be very tasty, hence the iguana's nickname: Chicken of the Forest. The yield of meat from "farmed" iguana is much higher than that from cattle, and it can last indefinitely because it does not require destruction of the forest. It seems the main problem is to persuade people to eat iguana instead of beef.

Amazon Reptiles Mains site

·
Herp Nerd
1,115 Posts
Quite real, they're a common food item in South America but something tells me the McLizard sandwich won't go over real well with North American consumers.

Rav

·
Registered
825 Posts
Capn', My Isaac would be a prime specimen for food. We tease him once in a while and tell him he had better behave or will make soup out of him and a purse out of his hide. He just bob's his head. :lizard: :lol:

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
yep true, but really it doesn't bother me too much, and i love my ig, but there are a lot of animals that we can keep as pets that others eat for meat, its just how it is.... people gotta eat.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Well the original poster said

The yield of meat from "farmed" iguana is much higher than that from cattle
Which means, I think, that if you had say 100 lbs of iguanas, and 100 lbs of cow - the 100 lbs of iguans would yield more meat and be able to feed more people then the 100 lbs of cow. But oveously you would need more iguanas to equal up to 100 lbs then you would cows.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.