Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

English

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  canadiancritter 
#1 ·
So.. I'm getting ready to start English riding. Any advice or hints or anything at all that you want to share with me please do! :D I'm only used to running barrels and trail riding with the occasional Western pleasure event. So remember I am totally new to this so if someone would maybe want to direct me to some helpful sites or articles I should read over to help me know what I'm getting myself into lol That would be lovely. And also maybe a site that tells me what all the tack it (I mean the actual names of the tack) That would be great. I have my first lesson with a trainer in a week but I want to show up knowing a little so I don't feel like such a dumb dumb lol Thanks again!

#2 ·
Hey!! this is awesome!! Well for one (I'm sure you have already guessed) English will feel A LOT different. One thing to remember is when you are in the saddle you want a straight line going from your head, through your shoulder, down your hip and down the back or through your ankel bone. Think there is a huge pole going down through your head down through your butt and through the horse :D(1). Keep your thumbs on top of your hands, and keep a straight line from your elbow to the horses bit. Don't let your elbow or wrist "break" (2). I'm not too sure about barrles but your going to really have to push your heels down, think more about your weight skinking deep down into them. You can strech your muscle so you don't die at your first lesson (this varies from person to person I get sore if I don't strech) You can drop your heel over a step, let your weight sink and only do it for about 2 minutes altogether(3). I'd have to see you ride to think of anything else but if you have any questions feel free to ask. Also if you really get into it I HIGHLY recommend Ariat brand for boots, 1/2 chapts, and all others! that brand lasts forever and is very durable :p.

(1)

(2)

(3)

(just don't let your wrist break like mine lol)

These are just basic :p

Jumper Saddle

Dressage Saddle

All-round Saddle

Cross-Country Saddle

Eventing saddle (Similar to an all-purpose)

#4 ·
uMgaziRatRescue, Excellent response! You really should think about giving lessons! Even online advise to those who know nothing. You just gave me my first lesson for English riding. Thank you. You taught me stuff I didn't know. I wish you could start a link and keep going. That was great. And I have all of the tack, just haven't gotten around to starting yet. But it was awesome how you showed her all of the different saddles, parts and how you labeled them and all. You have a real talent here. You should really go for it. And I know you have a passion for it. Keep up the good work. Charlene

#5 ·
Oh, I almost forgot to tell yall. The trainer I'm using helped me pick out a saddle and get it fit on my horse. lol That was so interesting to say the least. She was asking me what I thought about how it fit my mare and I was like...Uh I dunno lol But I have my saddle...Which she told me to go with an all purpose since I haven't decided to actually do anything but learn how to ride. lol And I have my girth,bridle and pad...I have to order my bit..Which the trainer said to go with a loose ring snaffle since my mare is used to be ridden with a broken bit. So I'm going with what she's saying...I think I ended up giving $95 for the saddle,leathers,irons, and bridle without the bit. The lady said that she had bought it and decided English wasn't for her so it was sitting in her tack room for 3 months and then she had placed a ad and I ran across it lol. I didn't want to put a whole lot of money into a saddle yet until I know I'm going to stick with it. But like I said if you think of anything else please let me know. Thanks

#6 ·
...I have to order my bit..Which the trainer said to go with a loose ring snaffle since my mare is used to be ridden with a broken bit.
hehe I love snaffles :p Loose ring snaffles are awesome because if your horse trys to "take hold" of the bit and run from you it will rotate on the rings preventing this :p (really helped me with my mare) I have a three piece snaffle for my mare atm :p. The only complaint I have about these bits is sometimes they can pinch your horses lips so I use a D ring snaffle(1) You can see in comparison to the Loose ring(2) it has no movable parts to pinch the horse. I personally have never had a horse get an injry from a pinch and I've never had a horse over react if it has been pinched so I say of course listen to your trainer :p I kind of just prudged this out I guess lol. What size bit does she take?

(1)

(2)

#7 ·
I know this sounds bad but I'm not sure lol.. I mean the trainer's ordering it for me and I will have to ask..HEHE sorry...Like I said I'm really new and some of this stuff is really confusing lol

#8 ·
Oh no no that bit is fine :p I use a similar one with my mare, I've just herd of stories of their lips getting pinched and my friends mother had a horse who got a sore from one. Not the same bit but it was similar to the one(s) we used :p. I've ridden a lot of horses with that bit and had no problems so :p I was more or less just talking about bits LOL.

#9 ·
Well when I took my first english "lesson" I liked it let me tell you some things I liked and didnt like. I needed to keep my legs back and my heels down. I had to keep the reins taught but not pulling back. I could not slouch. I liked it because it was fun and I felt proper too lol. I liked western better just because I could be more relaxed and not worry about my posture. That is my opinion on english. I do find it fun though! Good luck!

#10 ·
Come over to the UK for a bit and get some lessons here lol - you'll soon learn!
(btw, in the pic you're leaning a bit too far forward, you should be sat down a little bit)

One thing to remember - if it's not comfortable for you then it won't be comfy for the horse, sit down deep in the saddle, don't 'perch' on top and you should be fine, you'll find you have a lot more control over the horse when riding English style.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.