Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I can't sleep without my dog around or beside me on my bed. For this reason, I really make sure that he takes a bath as many times as I do. I take a bath 2 times a day and so he does too. I noticed however that ever after bath my dog sneezes. So, I'm wondering if it's bad to bathe my dog everyday two times a day.

·
Registered
199 Posts
What kind of dog is it? I say yes, it is bad to give a dog a bath twice a day. It can really start to dry out his skin and make him itchy. Once a week is do-able, but twice a day is over-doing it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a poodle. Oh my...then I'm really killing my own dog :( How about once a day everyday? Is that still bad?

By the way, is it bad to blow dry my dog's hair everyday right after bath?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Yeah, even for a longhaired dog that's way too much. Once a week would still be pushing it, to be honest.

What kind of dog is it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Doggie Baths

Hi! :D

I'm from the Philippines and it is a hot country. I give my dogs a bath twice a week on really hot months. It gets hot and humid here. But on cooler months, once a week or every week an a half is enough. Too much baths could dry off their skin and remove the much needed natural oils. Maybe what you can do is give them a nice little wipe with a wet towel every day instead of bathing them.

:wave:

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
I agree twice a day is too much, once a week at a push would be much better and even better if you can leave it longer. The problem with bathing your dog a lot is that you end up washing the natural oils out of its coat and leave the dogs skin with no protection against the elements. I can understand that you like your dog to be clean, we all do but you need to draw a line somewhere. Have you thought about just washing his paws when he has been outside as thats the part that usually gets dirty or maybe investing in some doggy wipes to use once a day rather then bathing him :)

Regards the hair drier it would be much better to let him dry naturally as the hair drier could cause his skin to become dry from continual use ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd say it also depends on what kind of shampoo you are using. I don't know why you'd want to bathe your dog twice a day? If you use a high quality shampoo your dog is going to smell good for a while :)

Unless you are taking him to the beach everyday and let him swim... I wouldn't bathe him more than once a week.

·
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes
2,934 Posts
My friend had a white poodle. They bathed her too often and she turned orange (I have no idea why) and had terrible dry skin.
I feel like an awful mom -- my guys only get bathed once a month! They don't sleep with us but they are on the furniture. Should I be washing them more often?

·
Salamander Burgermuffin
2,612 Posts
I try to only bathe Allie once or twice a month, unless she really needs it.. bathing them more than that really isn't good for there skin... But in the original post, she said her dog was sneezing after her bath, which prolly wasn't from bathing her too much, she prolly just had gotten some water in her nose or something.. I dont think bathing a dog every day would actually kill it, its just really not good for there skin. And i wouldnt blow dry her either, we just find a big old towel and snuggle until shes mostly dry. I would only bathe her once a week if you want her extra clean, if she gets dirty during the week you can take a warm washcloth and wipe her paws and stuff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your responses. I really appreciate it. So far I haven't noticed any dry skin from my pet except for that wet nose as if he has colds most of the time.:(

I'm going to follow all of your suggestions this week and hopefully it's not yet late for me and my pet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Washing frequently will remove oil from the skin, the hair will be dry and itchy, my vet suggested to me that frequent showers will imbalance his body temperature & will get sick. Please visit this amazing website for your four-legged friends who will love it. Regards:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts