Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Would you move to another state where your pets are legal if they became illegal?

• Yes

Votes: 106 78.5%
  • No

Votes: 29 21.5%
21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Banned
115 Posts
I think exotic animals should be banned if they are being brought in from the wild..that is just wrong....I used to work in a pet shop where all the reptiles were brought in fresh from the wild..that's just messed up...

As for birds? I personally wouldn't get one..they shouldn't be in cages...but oh well what can you do...as for big animals..uhm..darn straight they should be banned...especially from places like circuses...and who in their right minds would keep an elephant in their house? Unless its like a really big sanctuary or preservation park, there's just no reason for it..

As for mice and hamsters and all the other little critters..again, I don't really care much unless they're brought in from the wild..again I think that's just cruel in that case.. *shrugs* there's my opinion

·
Registered
103 Posts
EFExotics said:
50 (8) ORDER RODENTIA (SQUIRRELS, PRAIRIE DOGS, BEAVERS, PORCUPINES,
51 GAMBIEN RATS, BUT NOT GUINEA PIGS, RATS, MICE, GERBILS OR HAMSTERS)
Oh yes... gambian and african giant pouched rats are soooooo dangerous....

Just look at how evil Matisse is, baring his teeth at me...

Devouring my face with his gnashing mouth

yes... beware the giant pouched rat of doom

then again not to say they can't be dangerous. He did eat a power cord in just one chomp, and has managed to open his cage himself (must be wired shut now). But mannnnn... certain pets for certain people are just right. don't take away my exotics, especially my pouched rat. he means everything to me

This whole stupid ban has even gotten to my vet. Matisse was rubbing his nose on the cage bars while I was on vacation, and I took him in to his regular vet... who saw that he had a scab on his nose and told me I couldn't come back with him unless it was an absolute emergency, because he had "skin lesions".... ok, it was a scar from rubbing his nose!! treat it! arrggg... it's still there but healed over, and just bare where he rubbed it ........ he needs constant attention so he doesn't do that but man, I'm quick to provide it for him, the spoiled rat

I believe that they should be captive bred by knowledgable people.. but come on people, ALL pets started out this way whether it's a cat, dog, or hamster! they were wild animals at one point of time.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I agree that it is silly. Camels are actually a domesticate species. They have been domesticate for a long time in the arid countries of Africa where they are used as transportation. By domesticated, I mean bred in captivity for multiple generations. They are no more dangerous than a horse or a donkey. All three species can bite, kick, and do severe damage to a person, but all three species are also ridden. There are an estimated 14 million domestic camels in Africa and Eurasia, with most of these being Dromedary camels (one hump). However, most of the estimate 1.5 million camels in China and Mongolia are domesticated Bactrin camels (2 humps). The genetic difference between wild Bactrin camels and domestic ones is 3% base difference. This does not seem like much, but in fact, it is quite a large difference, and it shows that domestic camels have truly been bred by humans for quite a long time. For example, a wild wolf differs a mere 4%, genetically, from a coyote. That shows you how much change a small genetic difference can make. Dogs and wolves are even more closely related and have a smaller genetic difference. yet look at how different chihuahuas look and act from wolves. Even with that smaller genetic difference, people accept domestic dogs as, well, domestic. So why are domestic camels, with their equal or larger genetic difference not considered domestic? Sure a domestic camel could bite, kick, or spit on you just like a wild camel could. However, a domestic dog could bite or scratch you, just like a wolf could.

DRAGONTAMER: LOL! How cute! Your baby is just adorable, and your post is too funny! :pile:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Yes, if I could afford to. But, then again, both of us dislike the state we live in now and want to move, so that probably affects my answer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My kids and I live in Ontario, canada. I am the very proud Mother of 2 female red-nosed Pit-bulls and they were banned here in Early march. I have until Aug 29th to have them UTD on shots (they are)
spayed, which one is not, registered with the City & muzzled WHENEVER in public, also never allowed off-leash again, not even to dog parks. I will never be able to own my breed of choice again while living here. I'd much rather not even start to think what will happen to all the ones here who do not have homes by then.
At this time, my B/F and I are looking to moving to Montreal A.S.A.P. where our daughters can walk unmuzzled, with their heads high. Where I don't have to worry about someone harrassing them or trying to hurt them. Breed Bans do not work. SO, I had to vote "YES"
I'm not much for exotics, but, to each his own, and no one has the right to be told what they can and can not own or care for.

Laura!!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I don't want to make light of an issue of great importance to many people, but seriously...some of the animals on that list, wow! My boyfriend and I are ROFL picturing a hippo in some manhattan studio apt.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am not the type to pick up and run when something goes wrong. If I had a pet that all of a sudden became illegal, I would make sure the lawmakers, lawenforcers and EVERYONE knew that I had them before they became dangerous. It is called "grandfathering". I hate it when someone draws a line in the sand and I have to step back to accommodate it. If you draw a line, I will make every effort to stand on the line or cross it in your direction. How dare you make an immoral law. You Cannot Legislate Morality

Stepping down from soap box now.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I voted yes actually as I am a Prairie Dog owner and have been dealing with the ban since 2003. The ban is very outdated and unfounded at this point in time and the CDC and the FDA continue to just banter it back and forth with no intentions of revising it. There are 100's of PD owners who are scared to even let people know they own them due to some states entirely ban ownership such as Georgia and California of many. Fortunately I am in a PD friendly state but am limited to taking them to the vet and back and for rescue purposes only regarding transport. Animal control has brought me most of my rescues and they end up with a permanent home with me and I would move in a minute if I had to give them up. Also due to much misinformation regarding the ban it can be very difficult to find vets to treat PD's even in an emergency. Even wildlife rehabbers here wont deal with them most of the time (a few will but not many). They ban due to a disease such as monkeypox that isnt even native to this country yet the same disease is capable of being transmitted to many other species other than just PD's. Of those animals that are natural to this country I believe PD's are the only ones. The rest are exotic imports. Then the poisoning and even the paid for hunts that used to be sold on even ebay seeking $1000.00 just to take a shot at them as they come up from thier burrows!!! (not sure if they still are as hate to even see it). They dont consider how important some of these animals are to our overall ecosystem. Those that depend on the pd are a few such as the black footed ferret, burrowing owl, numerous breeds of snakes, etc. Well enough of my tangent but when owners fear of loosing thier beloved pets due to stupidity just burns me up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My Opinion

No offence to anyone...but who could say no...:confused:

·
Registered
968 Posts
My fiance recently discovered a breed of dog called Tamaskan. A mix of husky, malamute and german shepherd. Basically, an attempt to get dogs to look even more wolf-like than huskies, and at the same time try and breed out some of the huskies "worst" qualities (such as the fact that alot of them are escape artists, and the dominance level).

He was interested, but wondered whether or not they'd be legal in the state we live in, and the states we are considering moving to. After all, many states have outlawed wolf-dogs, and how do you prove that your Tamaskan is not a wolf- hybrid.

We discovered that many states, including NY, have "any dog that looks like a wolf" on their list of outlawed animals. Even if it is not a wolf hybrid. The breeder that I spoke to about the cost of a Tamaskan (almost $1500 in US dollars plus overseas shipping!) mentioned that she sells quite a few to people in the US and was about to ship one to someone in NY. I'm assuming that person didn't know that NY has this ridiculous law.

I can understand wanting to protect your citizens from animals that may be dangerous, such as wolves and venomous snakes. But chinchillas, degus, etc, are not dangerous, and should not be persecuted.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Be very afraid of the dangerous, muderous... ARMIDILLO!!!!I am sorry but somethings on that list is just dumb.I can understand the hippo and the bears and elephants, but come one have you ever seen a wild raccoon?They are the most doscile creatures.My aunts house is surrounded by them, the babies run over to her when she dose the laundry.

If i had a praire dog orsomething eles on that list I would move.Its like saying "well billy california dose like little boys anymore and making them illegal, so run free!"

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I think a lot of the newer bans are due to more and more people wanting exotic animals that aren't domesticated. Many of these animals may not be too dangerous, but just the fact that they are wild and really should be left in their natural environment. Granted, where I live, people take in abandoned baby raccoons, squirrels, etc. and raise them as pets with much success. But to go to the extreme of pulling animals out of jungles from accross the world is a little much in my opinion and these animals are usually better off in their natural homes, thus the bans come into play. The novelty of such animals seems to be their selling point.

I don't want to offend anyone; this is only my opinion.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My not so humble opinion aligns with yours exactly. Wild animals should remain wild. If you want to see more of them, go to a zoo, live in the country where they live, take lots of pictures and admire the pictures.

Only animals that are domesticated should be kept as domestic.

Hope I have not offended anyone with my opinion. I tend not to be humble about anything. That is just who I am.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I agree with you jewels, for the most part.

There are two main things that bother me:
1. To all of a sudden make an animal illegal to own even though it has been domesticated/kept as a pet for a LONG time (such as if they were to decide to make chinchillas, ferrets, or fancy mice/rats illegal). I'm kinda iffy on degus, even though I have two. I guess because I don't really know how long they've been domesticated. Part of me feels there is no harm in owning them because they are one of the most populous animals where they come from, so there is no worry of reducing their numbers too far. But part of me also wonders if they have been pets long enough to be considered domesticated animals versus animals that should be left in the wild. I honestly don't know how long they have been kept as pets. All animals were once wild. It's a struggle sometimes to try and figure out where to draw the line between "okay to attempt to domesticate" and "better off left alone." How long does a species have to be kept as a pet before it is considered domesticated?

2. To make owning a dog illegal just because it looks like a wolf. If it's not a wolf-hybrid, then you should be able to own it. A german shepherd/husky mix (aka a tamaskan) is no more dangerous that a husky, or a shepherd. If you can own those breeds seperately, then why can't you own the mix. Just because it looks like a wolf, doesn't make it a wolf.

21 - 40 of 99 Posts