Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an overweight cat who is about 17 pounds (her name's Rosie). We are putting her on a diet from the vet of a cup of food a day, feeding her a half cup twice daily. We thought she was fat because she ate too much, but now that we monitor her eating, we've noticed that she actually doesn't eat that much. Is she just not eating much because of the new diet, or does she have a medical problem that was making her overweight? Also, what things can you do to exercise them? I can't take her outside anymore because of the snow. Is just playing with a toy going to give her much exercise? Thanks

·
canis lupus familiaris
552 Posts
Did you just up and switch her food or did you gradually do it? If you just up and switched, she likely took notice and doesn't like it as much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hormone imbalance

Hi there,

I have read recently an interesting article about fat cats, unfortunately I could find the link to put it here, but the article explained that in this particular situation cats behave like women, I mean that Rosie as a female cat could have some hormone imbalance and that's the reason for getting overweight although the new diet feeding.
And about cats indoor exercising - I think it would be a good idea to take her more than one climbing cat trees or some palying gyms or towers to put them together and make her walk or play using them. Of cource you should do this gradually, without forcing her, becoause she could start haiting them instead of having fun and exercising at the same time. Hope that my advices will help you and Rosie :)

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
How wonderful that you want to get your kitty to a healthy weight. This reduce her risk of diabetes and heart disease to name two diseases obese cats get.

You have to get her off the dry food.

Dry food is so biologically inappropriate for a cat to eat, you are never going to get her to a healthy weight feeding her some corn laded high carb junk from the vet.

What your cat needs is a good quality, low carbohydrate canned diet. (or a raw diet) Something that contains identified meat protein, no grains, little or no fruits and veggies.

Avoid "chunks in gravy" style foods because these are high in carbohydrates.

Get a baby scale and weigh her weekly to monitor progress. Cats should lose weight very slowly. No more than 3 or 4 ounces a week.

You will need to increase her exercise too, but that will probably be slow going until she loses enough weight to feel like moving. I'll be happy to offer some tips on that, if you come back to this thread.:)

Start the food transition slowly. Once you have her on an all canned diet you can judge how much she should be eating for safe weight loss, by weighing her weekly.

I'll be happy ton answer any questions.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Give your cat time for exercise like playing with her with toys. Does he sleeps a lot? You have to watch her sleep, her diet, take notes of it, then have time to consult with her vet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts