Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little different than the What are you reading thread.

Do you have a favorite author? Do you have favorite books that you re-read a lot?

Anne McCaffrey (Sci Fi/Fantasy) is one of my favorite authors, her Dragon Riders of Pern series being a set I re-read every couple of years (there are almost 30 books I think, and her son has taken over the series)

I also like Anne Tyler, as her books are laugh out loud funny.

The James Herriot All Creatures books ares also favorite re-reads of mine as are Derik Longden's books.

Jean Auel's The Clan of the Cave Bear and subsequent books in the series are also books I reread every couple of years.

I think the most engrossing book ever written is The Stand by Stephen King. I can't put that book down whenever I start it, even though it gives me terrible nightmares while reading it.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
It sounds like you and I have similar tastes in books!

Anne McCaffrey has to be my all time favorite. I own every single book in the Dragonriders of Pern series. I have to say though that I'm not as big of a fan of her son.

Lately I've also been rereading stuff by Ursula K. Le Guin. I really like her Earthsea books.

David Eddings, Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman, and James Herriot, and Tolkien are a few other authors whose books I always enjoy rereading.

Mostly I like fantasy or science fiction books, or stuff that's about animals. I have a huuuge book collection and most of the books I have are ones that I go back and reread every so often. :)

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
sophie kinsella i own all her books although i did not like confessions of a shopaholic but i did enjoy the others like remember me and 20s girl , Although I must say, my all time favorite book is shes come undone by wally lamb :)

·
is a little "special"
4,131 Posts
I usually really like Jodi Piccoult's books. :) I don't have time to read much else though, with what I all have to read for school... I love murder mystery type books, and she writes a lot of those.

I'm more into my TV shows right now, LOL!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Most of my selections are on my Shelfari account...

I reread Terry Pratchett's Discworld series a LOT. One of the few series I will read over and over again.

The one book I love is Sunshine by Robin Mckinley. I haven't been too fond of her other books but that one I've read a minimum of five times at least.

China Mieville I enjoy reading. His books are only for a one-time read, though because of the way they're written.

Brandon Sanderson is quickly becoming one of my favourites (especially now that he's taken over Wheel of Time). His first series was 'eh' with good ideas and characters but some week plotting and writing hiccups. He's improved a LOT since then.

Steven Erikson is another good author but I don't think I could handle reading his series over and over again!

Lynda Williams is a good author (and I know her so that's a bonus) :p

C.S Friedman just started another series and has improved a lot from her first one so she should probably be on this list too.

And.... uh, well, yeah. It's long and doesn't include all my fav. authors but there ya go. My tastes run solely for Sci-Fi Fantasy, occasionally I'll dabble outside of my comfort zone but not that often.

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like you and I have similar tastes in books!

Anne McCaffrey has to be my all time favorite. I own every single book in the Dragonriders of Pern series. I have to say though that I'm not as big of a fan of her son.

Lately I've also been rereading stuff by Ursula K. Le Guin. I really like her Earthsea books.

David Eddings, Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman, and James Herriot, and Tolkien are a few other authors whose books I always enjoy rereading.

Mostly I like fantasy or science fiction books, or stuff that's about animals. I have a huuuge book collection and most of the books I have are ones that I go back and reread every so often. :)

I have all the pern books too, and the companion books too. There is one with drawings/plans of all the major holds for example, and one with drawing/write ups of the major people. They are mostly out of print and hard to find and costly to get but I was determined to keep my collection complete. :)

Todd writes more from the watch wher angle. The first book he wrote by himself Dragons Blood was so good I couldn't put it down. I couldn't wait to turn the page.

The ones in collaboration with his mother are not as good, he does better writing on his own.

If it's possible to pick a favorite Pern book though, it has to be The Master Harper of Pern.

I have read I think one book by Ursula Le Guin, The Beginning Place. I should try her more hard core SciFi.

I'll be going to the library soon, I'll start with an Earthsea book, what is the first one?

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
The first one in the Earthsea series is, I believe, "A wizard of Earthsea"

I don't know why but I'm just not as much of a fan of Todd as I am of Anne. I read all the books he wrote himself as well as the ones cowritten with his mother, but the ones by his mother are still my favorite. Actually I'm currently rereading "The White Dragon", which I think is one of my favorite books in the series.

I forgot to add Anne Rice to my author list! I really enjoy her Vampire Chronicles series. I'm not usually a huge vampire fan but I do really like her books.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The most vampire I've read is P.N Elrod and Tanya Huff (and Sunshine but that's one book.... best vampire book out there but still...). I like P.N Elrod because it's gangsta vampires and Tanya Huff... well, she's a really good author.

I've heard good things about Anne Rice but was never able to get into her books. The one I did read and enjoy immensely was Blackwood Farm but that's as far as I've gotten.

For other vampire authors... Laurell K. Hamilton, Patricia Briggs, Carrie Vaughn, Kim Harrison, Charlaine Harris, Mary Ann Mitchell... They're all good authors in their own way with similar Urban Fantasy/Horror settings.

Not really my thing, though. I prefer different flavours of vampires. Like Sarah Ash, China Mieville, C.S Friedman, Terry Pratchett (for the humorous side), Barbara Hambly (although I've only read Those Who Hunt The Night. It was my first foray into Vampires... ah, memories), and Alan Campbell (kinda).

Yeah... I'm kinda rambling now. Books are my life pretty much so it gets me all giddy like a schoolgirl.

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The most vampire I've read is P.N Elrod and Tanya Huff (and Sunshine but that's one book.... best vampire book out there but still...). I like P.N Elrod because it's gangsta vampires and Tanya Huff... well, she's a really good author.

I've heard good things about Anne Rice but was never able to get into her books. The one I did read and enjoy immensely was Blackwood Farm but that's as far as I've gotten.

For other vampire authors... Laurell K. Hamilton, Patricia Briggs, Carrie Vaughn, Kim Harrison, Charlaine Harris, Mary Ann Mitchell... They're all good authors in their own way with similar Urban Fantasy/Horror settings.

Not really my thing, though. I prefer different flavours of vampires. Like Sarah Ash, China Mieville, C.S Friedman, Terry Pratchett (for the humorous side), Barbara Hambly (although I've only read Those Who Hunt The Night. It was my first foray into Vampires... ah, memories), and Alan Campbell (kinda).

Yeah... I'm kinda rambling now. Books are my life pretty much so it gets me all giddy like a schoolgirl.
Do you read Yasmine Galenorn?

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The first one in the Earthsea series is, I believe, "A wizard of Earthsea"

I don't know why but I'm just not as much of a fan of Todd as I am of Anne. I read all the books he wrote himself as well as the ones cowritten with his mother, but the ones by his mother are still my favorite. Actually I'm currently rereading "The White Dragon", which I think is one of my favorite books in the series.

I forgot to add Anne Rice to my author list! I really enjoy her Vampire Chronicles series. I'm not usually a huge vampire fan but I do really like her books.
My favorite line from that book "It IS rock". Heehee.

It's what Ruth says to Jaxom the first time he tries chewing firestone.

Do you read any of McCaffrey's other series? I love the Pegasus books, and the Rowan/Damia series as well. Actually the Damia books....I can't read the last one because it drives me crazy that they call another species by a nick name "Tweenies". For some reason it irritates me so much that I have only read that last book twice.

One of my favorite stories by McCaffry is The Ship Who Sang, there is a short story and a full lenght novel. I couldn't get into any of the other shell person books though, they are collaborations with E. Scarborough.

I liked The Dinosaur Planet books okay, and the Catteni (Freedom) series.

I just recently bought the first book in her (their) Barque Cat series but I don't care for it and won't be reading any more.

But I LOVE the Petaybee/Changling books, they are collaborations with E Scarbourough too.

And The Crystal Singer books are favorites of mine, too. Especially the second one.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
Haha yes I just read that quote in the book this morning!

I want my own Ruth!

Yeah I've read like all of Anne McCaffrey's books lol - especially the Dragonriders of Pern though because I've always really really loved dragons. Most of her other stuff I've only read once or twice, but her Pern books I've read soo many times lol.

BarkingPup I'm not usually a vampire fan at all...but I like Anne Rice's vampires. I've read her series a few times now, but never really got into any other vampire books.

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We should start a Paw Talk book club! We can pick a book and all read it and then make a thread to talk about it.
That's a good idea. Choosing the book is always the hard part though. But I'll do it if other people do. :)

I like the Pern books best too. My first introduction to Pern was when I was 16. I bought my sister Dragonsinger (the first book in the fire lizard trilogy, about Menolly) for Christmas. Not because I knew about Pern yet, I hadn't (up til then scifi/fantasy to me meant Ray Bradbury and Isaac Asimov) but it was on the "new books" stand and I thought it sounded like something she would like. (she was 13) She read it all Christmas day, and then told me I had to read it too. And two new Pern fans were born. That was in 1976. :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Do you read Yasmine Galenorn?
Just looked that author up and no, I have not. Most of my forays into Urban Supernatural were caused by browsing the Sci-Fi Fantasy area of the Public Library which limits my choices. I don't usually go into General Adult any more than I have to (and now that Laurell K Hamilton's editor has gone insane, not at all). I'm always looking for new books to read so I'll give him/her? a try :)

My veeeery first foray into dragon obsession myself was Jane Yolen's Pit Dragon Chronicles and later on, Anne McCaffrey's Pern. I remember picking up the first book secondhand (cuz thar be dragons) and falling in love without really knowing why (my reading skillz hadn't climbed that high yet). I also remember the Pern novels forcing me into the adult section of the Library!

I stopped reading them around.... Dolphins of Pern or Dragonseye... can't remember.... something like that. I enjoyed them when they were about dragons, not so much about technology so I decided to cut my losses and leave while the series was still awesome in my mind (didn't do that with Anita Blake OR Xanth and look where that got me...)

My favourite books out of them all would have to be:
Dragonflight
The Masterharper of Pern (couldn't stop crying for this one)
The White Dragon
The Harper Hall Trilogy

I still love dragon books but they're becoming very infrequent lately. Some good one have appeared, like Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton but most are substandard (Naomi Novik's Temeraire, Robin Mckinley's Dragonhaven, Mercedes Lackey's Dragon Jousters, or the Halfblood Chronicles by Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey etc.) and... I dunno, just don't have that same spark that Pern or Jane Yolen had/s.

BarkingPup I'm not usually a vampire fan at all...but I like Anne Rice's vampires. I've read her series a few times now, but never really got into any other vampire books.
You should definitely try P.N Elrod or Tanya Huff (although I don't like Tanya Huff's vamp novels as much as the spinoff and her other novels, she is one of the few authors on my favourite list I can't pin down as to WHY they're my favourite. She just... IS.) I don't know if you'd enjoy Sunshine but you could give it a whirl.

I, personally, am not much of an anything fan. I prefer things but if it's written well I'll give anything a go! I do prefer my Psychological Overly Complicated Fantasy World genre though XD

I'd be down with a book club! When I was part of one in RL everyone wrote down one book they wanted to read and we chose one every month. The biggest issue that cropped up was different folks, different strokes (AKA somebody who likes history novels, somebody who likes westerns, somebody who likes fantasy trying not to insult the others book choice).

I highly suggest we pick books that no one's read before and nothing too... out there (one of our members tried to get everyone to read a book written almost entirely in purple prosey poetry with almost no coherent sentences. Another tried to get everyone to read a biography.) Stick with stories and, if all else fails, go with the well-loved ones (Water For Elephants, My Sister's Keeper, The Other Boleyn Girl).

·
It's all for them
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
J
I highly suggest we pick books that no one's read before and nothing too... out there (one of our members tried to get everyone to read a book written almost entirely in purple prosey poetry with almost no coherent sentences. Another tried to get everyone to read a biography.) Stick with stories and, if all else fails, go with the well-loved ones (Water For Elephants, My Sister's Keeper, The Other Boleyn Girl).
Except we've all probably already read those, LOL. Well, I never could get into Water For Elephants but I've read the Other Boleyn Girl twice. I read My sisters Keeper and it was okay, but I am not a big Picoult fan.

I can't read books that are written in the present tense. Water For Elephants, and most of Jodi Picoult are, I just can't read books written like that.

Someone earlier mentioned She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb, I meant to comment on that, I couldn't put that book down, though my gosh it was really horrifying, but I admit I liked the book and may read it again some day.

A book kind of similar in theme to She's come undone was Tess of the D'ubervilles, but that book drove me crazy with irritation, and I doubt I will ever read it again.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Except we've all probably already read those, LOL. Well, I never could get into Water For Elephants but I've read the Other Boleyn Girl twice. I read My sisters Keeper and it was okay, but I am not a big Picoult fan.

I can't read books that are written in the present tense. Water For Elephants, and most of Jodi Picoult are, I just can't read books written like that.

Someone earlier mentioned She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb, I meant to comment on that, I couldn't put that book down, though my gosh it was really horrifying, but I admit I liked the book and may read it again some day.

A book kind of similar in theme to She's come undone was Tess of the D'ubervilles, but that book drove me crazy with irritation, and I doubt I will ever read it again.
haha i mentioned shes come undone, it was sooo hard for me to put it down ill definetly look into the other book you mentioned :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts