Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got a mouse. I have had him for 3 days now. His name is Fedex. He is really cute.

Is there anything i need to do for him? Any foods i should give him in a proper diet? What i should be careful of? anything to watch for?

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Congrats!
Do not house him on pine or cedar! These litters are toxic.Try aspen,Yesterday's News or Carefresh.Give him tubes/tunnels and a wheel for excercise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cute Mousie! I'd like to let you know that mice don't do too well by theirselves! They're very social animals, so you really should try to find him a friend! If Fedex is a boy, be sure to get another boy!!! But try to get a young one as male mice can be territorial! Check out some sites to see what all is best! There's a lot of info out there so just Google it! =) Good luck with your new little friend!

·
Registered
105 Posts
isn't it very likely that male mice will kill each other if made to live together? At least I have seen people say this a few times on this site.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thats what i thogut as well...i usally have fedex out and playing around with me...so he isnt alone for that long....

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
Cute Mousie! I'd like to let you know that mice don't do too well by theirselves! They're very social animals, so you really should try to find him a friend! If Fedex is a boy, be sure to get another boy!!! But try to get a young one as male mice can be territorial! Check out some sites to see what all is best! There's a lot of info out there so just Google it! =) Good luck with your new little friend!
Actually when it comes to male mice,they are highly territorial and will fight to the death in many cases.Introducing a new male to Fedex will most likely prove to be a disaster! Fedex will do fine on his own,as long as you give him alot of attention and toys and things to do.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
for food you should get a good lab block it has all they need for a proper diet that won't lead to weight issues

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mice are pretty simple, easy to care for critters. A 5 or 10 gal aquarium, a wheel, a water bottle, and a food dish (not really needed if you provide a lab block) is all they really need. For toys, you can give them empty toilet paper or paper towel tubes, shredded paper/toilet paper, used popsicle sticks (flavorful!) or anything else made of safe materials lying around the house. A lot of them like bird toys, too, or rope which you can string around in a wire cage.

For a little house, turn an empty clean cottage cheese/sour cream/margarine container upside down, (with a lid on) and cut a door, leaving about a 3/4" lip at the bottom. They like to gather chushy, clean bedding to sleep in and make a pretty little nest. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts