Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Brand new worried degu owner here! Ha :)

2 females, young (not sure how old. size of gerbils, maybe tiny bit smaller)

im worried about how they are both eating.
i feed them in the morning and in the evening, i give them a teaspoon of degu food each and put a couple of chinchilla pellets in too. they have seperate bowls and i feel like i'm doing everything right.

but one of them burys all of the food everytime i feed them and the other one only has a couple of bits of the food i put out.
i read that if they bury the food youre meant to give them less the next time you feed them, in which case they'll be left with only a couple of bits of food by the end at each mealtime :confused:

only had the degus since the 9th so i think i may just be worrying too much and that they'll sort it out amongst themselves in time once they get settled.

any advice / or anything to put my mind at rest?
thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
There's no harm with them having little food. Fasting is healthy and normal for all animals, and humans. It gives the digestive system a time to rest. :) So don't worry about it.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Hmm. Well, degus rarely over-eat so you don't necessarily have to keep decreasing the amount of food. But they should be eating more than a few pieces. Maybe they're hot? Degus are sensitive to heat (like chinchillas). If they're still eating hay and veggies then you probably don't have much to worry about :).

·
Registered
22 Posts
hi i got my 3 degus yesterday. They are absolutely adorable!! I'm a bit worried about over feeding them? I feed them twice a day, morning and evening is that ok? Also how often should they get a sand bath?

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
hi i got my 3 degus yesterday. They are absolutely adorable!! I'm a bit worried about over feeding them? I feed them twice a day, morning and evening is that ok? Also how often should they get a sand bath?
In the future, it's better to make your own thread so that people notice it :).

It's hard to over-feed degus and degus rarely become overweight on a good diet. You can give most degus unlimited access to pellets (provided these are high-quality pellets that aren't high in fat or anything) but feeding a couple of meals is also fine. They should always have access to grass hay, as well.

A dust bath should be provided at least once a week. Again, it's not something you can really over-do :). Many people leave the bath in all the time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My degus use their bath as a toilet almost straight away and THEN clean themselves in it...is this not kinda defeating the purpose of the sand bath?! lol

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
My degus use their bath as a toilet almost straight away and THEN clean themselves in it...is this not kinda defeating the purpose of the sand bath?! lol
That's actually normal and how you litter-train degus (just change the sand everyday). It's probably more to get their scent over themselves.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks all!
looks like i was just nervous about having a new pet!
theyve got into the habit now of feeding times and they both seem to be eating fine and the same amount etc :)

still cant tell them apart tho! haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts