Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For months now I have been feeding my hedgehog Ron Jeremy a small handful of food. I keep food in his bowl so whenever he's hungry he has it. Should I feed my hedgehog at a certain time each day? Once a day or more? Is there a certain portion I should be feeding him? These are vital questions, I know. Thank You.

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
I am not sure about hedgies, but i will :bump: it for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, i use to feed my hedgie only a small handful each day because when he was younger, he started getting too fat so I put him on a diet. Now, I just keep his food bowl about half full and he will eat what he needs and not more (not like a gold fish that will eat and eat until it explodes).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah. I keep a small handful of food in his bowl. I don't usually put food in his bowl until nighttime. He sleeps during the day anyway && I put enough food in his bowl to last him through the night. Ususally the next day I throw away what's left in his bowl and replace with fresh food. I've also been feeding him a few pieces of dried cranberries and rasins (are there fruits okay? He seems to love them:])

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I know most "well-informed" sites catered towards various domesticated pets will give you an amount that each species should be given to eat in a 24 hour period. But the general consensus is, I think, to feed an amount that they will consume within a 24 hour period, but not more than that.

Really, it varies from person to person. Some people aren't comfortable with their pet not constantly having food available, and others are entirely comfortable with giving only a limited amount.

Honestly, how much you feed him, is entirely up to you. Is he doing well on what you're feeding him? Good weight? Healthy and happy to the naked eye? Then I really wouldn't worry.

The food put down I think correlates with not only the owner, but their pet, as well. For instance, my cat will eat when she's bored, and depressed, so her food is taken away before we go to bed and therefore not around to give her attention. While my rabbit, on the other hand, only eats her pellets if all her roughage material is gone.

You know your hedgehog best. You have a one-on-one relationship with him, that no one here, not even other hedgehog owners can best. If he's doing well on the schedule you have set up, I'd say stick with it. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts