Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I´m from Finland and that´s why my english isn´t very good, sorry for that.

Here in my country there´s a big belief that female mice shouldn´t be given big tanks because people think they will start to fight. I think differently and I´ve been reading english texts and studies and found no evidence that female fight because of too large tank.

They think the fights occur because female start to share territories. I haven´t found information about that. Males do fight over territories but as far as I know female defend their territories only when there´s new mice coming. People here say that if you put mice that have accepted each other and been long together to a bigger tank, then they will start to fight because of the bigger tank= territories.

Have you got any information or experience about this? I think the bigger tank the better but few here has a courage to buy a big tank because of the thought of territory fights.

They even claim that a tank sized 70cmx40cmx35cm is too big for 3 mice. I haven´t had any problems.

Tell me everything you know or think :)

·
Mouse Obsessor
287 Posts
As with most caged pets. The bigger the cage, the better.
If you get your females at the same time they will get along just fine. And you can add another if you properly introduce them first. People do it all the time. :)
The facts are quite the opposite. The smaller the cage, the more aggression there is usually.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Hello and welcome! I went to Finland as part of a Finland/Russia tour group in 1985 and I still remember Helsinki being my very first foreign city to set foot in. It was wonderful. :)

I agree with the other post, the bigger the housing, the better and a smaller tank will promote aggression. That is strange that people in Finland believe that larger housing is not good for mice and territoriality. When animals are in too small of a space it promotes a kind of cabin fever and fights break out more. Always go for a bigger tank/housing. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Very interesting! I agree with the other posters--it is always better to get the biggest cage you can, particularly when you have multiple animals in that cage. I also agree with what you said about cage size: I, too, think that animals will be more prone to fight in smaller spaces because of issues with dominance. The larger the space, the better for everyone! :) And welcome to the forum!

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I agree with the other members! A larger cage should not make the mice fight,if anything a smaller cage would.

I currently have 2 female mice in a 33 gallon tank and they are best kind,no fighting or anything. They love it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts