Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, after months of research and decision making, I've decided to get a couple degus. First and foremost is a cage. I used to own a pair of rats, and while I bought the biggest cage I could find for them at the pet store, I felt so sorry for them having to live in that tiny thing. I didn't realize there was anything better though. Every store I went to was worse off than the last.

So for my upcoming room mates I decided to get this part right from the beginning. I'm looking at either a Ferret Nation 142 or a Critter Nation 162. They're the exact same cage, but the Critter Nation has smaller mesh, is almost impossible to find for sale, and when you do find it is being sold for around $300+. The Ferret Nation I can find almost anywhere for $200. While I could rant that even the manufacturer's website says they should cost the same price, that unfortunately isn't the reality.

With all the startup costs, and let's face it the economy in the states lately, a $100 price difference is no small matter. So my question is this: Is the Ferret Nation cage adequate on mesh size? I don't want the little ones to hurt themselves or anything.

edit: oh, and the first thing to go is the plastic pans and shelves. Already know that one =) Gonna order metal pans from Bass since they custom make them to size for you, and I've got access to a woodworking shop so I can make the shelves myself.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
What's the spacing on the mesh? And do you plan to get adults or babies?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I can't find out what the spacing is. That's what irks me. Figured someone else might have one. The critter nation is visibly smaller in pictures though.

As for the age, I'll take what I can find.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Unfortunately I can't find out what the spacing is. That's what irks me. Figured someone else might have one. The critter nation is visibly smaller in pictures though.

As for the age, I'll take what I can find.
Hmm, I'm not sure. A lot of ferret cages have wide enough spacing for degus to slip through but this one could be different.

I asked because babies are especially amazing at squeezing through tiny spaces ;).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, worst case scenario, I cover the whole thing in hardware cloth I guess, although that wouldn't look as nice. What kind of spacing should I be looking for? Once I land one of these babies in a store and have a ruler handy it'd be nice to have a rule of thumb to say go or no go on.

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
I've heard of degus managing to squeeze through mesh that was 1"x1" and babies would definitely escape. So go for smaller than that :).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.