Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so we set up a cory cat specific tank about a month ago, to lessen the amount of fish my 15 gallon and to give the corys sand. It's ten gallons, and has a Topfin20 HOB filter and is heated to 76 degrees. It also has a java fern, and another plant I can't remember the name of, and a cave/rock and a clay pot. We let the tank run for about three weeks and put the corys in last week. They're all fine, but the filter gets kind of clogged kind of quickly, with the sand, and it's lowering the water flow. Would a canister work better? What can I do?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lol well it's only the one tube and mesh wouldn't help, it's like all the tiny dusty bits in the sand are what's coating the filter - the sand particles themselves are not. The cory cats DO dig a LOT though. I used a QTip to clean as much of the gunk out of the tube as possible, and changing the flow just makes less water come out. Should I change the cartridge?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I rinsed it and let it soak in a bucket for a few hours - not 24 though, I did not realize I had to soak it for that long. After that, I put it in the tank, filled the tank, let the water settle for a few hours and then started running the filter. Now that I think about it, the water itself was still cloudy-ish when I turned the filter on in the beginning... it could just be that initial sand still in there.

As to the size of my sand, I'm not too sure. It is aquarium sand and not lizard substrate, I know that for sure LOL. And the corys are pretty small. I would say between 3/4" - 1" long at the most. The sand is around an inch deep, although it kind of varies as it's not perfectly flat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.