Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain what fin rot is or how I can tell it's fin rot? I've been trying to figure out if my little guy has it and so far I think he does but I don't want to treat it until I'm certain. He has black edges on his fins and then it turns clear and then his regular color. I do have salt and bettafix.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Fin rot is caused by a bacteria in the water, usually found in not so clean water. It's said that this bacteria in present in mostly all aquariums but those fish with weakened immune systems will recieve it.
Fin rot appears as red sores along the edge of the fins, fins look raggedy and torn. It can be very easy to treat if it hasn't reached the body, but once it has reached the body, it could be fatal. I treat my guppies fin rot with a medicine called Melafix and it works really good as it's main ingredient is Tea Tree oil so its a very natural remedy, but as with most medications, you should have filter running(i dont know if your betta is in a bowl or what). On milder cases, all you need to do is just keep your water clean so no infection occurs. How often do you do water changes and how much water do you remove? Do you dechlorinate your water first?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
He's in a 10 gallon tank with a filter and a heater. I change the water every 3 days 50% and every 12 days I do a 100% water change. I do put AquaSafe "makes tap water safe for fish".
He's been like that since I bought him.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If he's had this since you got him, you dont think it's apart of his pattern? I've seen patterns where their fins have a border of clearness around the fins and it's apart of their colouring. Can you get bigger pictures of him so we could see? I can't tell by the size of the pics.

·
Registered
110 Posts
No it doesnt look like fin rot to me. No redness, or ratty looking fins, looks smooth. And if his tail has always been that length since you bought him, I'm wouldn't worry aboout it. If you start to see the length of his tail disintergrating, then i would worry. Other then that, he's a nice veil tail.

·
Registered
110 Posts
No problem, keep us updated if something does go wrong. :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I've heard. I have both but I know how to dilute the Melafix so it can be the equivalence of Bettafix...but I just use Bettafix as a precaution. Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Betta fix has the same ingredients(tea tree oil) as melafix but its just more diluted. So basically buying Melafix will last longer, just dont use as much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts