Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got an opportunity to shoot pics of everyone. Enjoy!

This is Peaches, our beige berkshire female, so sweet and calm for a girl

This is Boris, my sweet hairless rescue everyone's heard me talk about!

This is Lucy, my pink eyed white, still skiddish but getting there

This is Genie our black berkshire, freaking escape artist and freaking pregnant (no idea how some pet owners can be so irresponsible)

Last but not least this is my dumbo Figaro, and my constant shoulder rat

·
Registered
47 Posts
Whoa. Genie looks creepily similair to my male, seymour, even down to the white belly. SO CUUTE!

·
Registered
179 Posts
OK I think I've reached my cuteness limit for the day! Absolutely buetifull! Is Boris true hairless or double rex? He looks pretty fuzzy but hard to tell either way he's a cutiepie!

·
Zippy Chickenshorts
1,762 Posts
aww they are all so cue, I love Figaros markings!!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the compliments! I'm certainly proud of them! To tell you the truth I have no idea what Boris's genetics are. We rescued him from a petstore that was about to put him in the feeder bin due to his hernia. All I can say is that he has curly whiskers, lots of fine peach fuzz all over, but no real hairy patches. Oh, he also has a gray sadle mark on his back and gray on one side of his face. All of this can give me clues as to his genetic background, but I'm sure we'll never really know.

·
Will It Ever Change?
7,346 Posts
well, generally a hairless is called a double rex, that means single rex= curly whiskers and fur, double rex=hairless and explains the curly whiskers. he's super cute! i love figaro, he looks sooooo cuddly

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, as far as I can tell from relatively minimal research, there are three genetic sources of hairlessness, nu/nu, hr/hr and of course Re/Re (believe that's the code for double rex.) All three have curly whiskers. The nu and hr typically have less hair, having no patches and little if any peach fuzz, whereas the double rex have more peach fuzz or even patches of thick hair. So if he was totally without peach fuzz it would be easy to say what he is, or if he had thick patches it would be easy to say what he is, but because he's right in the middle with loads of peach fuzz, it's kinda hard. I could tell by breeding him because double rex is dominate, so if bred with a normal coat female there would be rex babies, the other genes are recessive so off spring with a normal coat female would be carriers but would have a coat like their mama. Unfortunately I'll never be able to test it in this manner because Boris has a hernia which can be a genetic defect, so I suppose we'll never know for sure.

Yes, Figaro is super cuddly so is Peaches. My others are very active and lots of fun to watch and play with, but they are my sweet kiss-giving, cuddly shoulder rats, and there's nothing like a sweet cuddly rat to make your day better:)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Very, very sweet!

What cute rats you have! I like Boris best, I have a bit of a soft spot for furless rats. My Eve is bald and also has a tiny hernia, the vet said it wasn't too much to worry about. Glad you saved Boris from the bin.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Boris and Figaro are in one cage and then Lucy and Genie are together in one. So far Peaches is still on quarantine in a whole separate floor of the house because she's new, but she will eventually go in the big cage with the girls. I do love Boris the best probably. He has so much personality and he's such a mama's boy!

·
Resident Aquarium Nerd
9,930 Posts
Cute rats! :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
Cute pictures! I especially love your hairless guy.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the compliments! I like Boris best too, but shh don't tell the others, they all think they're my favorite!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts