Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Aren't you worried he will run away? Or are you going to let nature take it's course? Do you live in a place where he will be o.k. if he decides to go out on his own he will be alright? Do you think he will make it if he decides to leave you one day on an outing? He sure has grown up quick. You have done really well. You should be really proud and give yourself a pat on the back. We have done the raising of baby squirrels before and it isn't easy. But the rewards are so wonderful. Good Job!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Aren't you worried he will run away? Or are you going to let nature take it's course?

Do you live in a place where he will be o.k. if he decides to go out on his own he will be alright?
Do you think he will make it if he decides to leave you one day on an outing?

No I am not so worried that he will run off - for we are going to let nature takes it course..... so IF Max decides to leave us then we will still supplement him with food / water for a few months until he gets a hang of it all - being on his own in the wild.

And YES - Max will be OK if he decide to run free for we found him not more than 30 feet in front of our house, plus we have woods all around us....... this is area he was meant to be in. :)

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
He is sooo cute!

·
Salamander Burgermuffin
2,612 Posts
great pictures! he sure has gotten big since i last checked this thread... its nice he gets to go out side with you!

Maybe, if you havent already thought of this, you could set up a feeder for him outside and let him have snacks there when hes out.. that way, if he does decide to go off on an adventure, he'll always know where to find a snack.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
aww MAX! your a heart breaker :love:

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
awwz Max!! your so cute!!! i love his lil face markings :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Here are some PICS from Max today when he was outside with my husband and I -
as we cracked a bucket of Black Walnuts for Max to eat..... and darn those nuts were hard to crack.

Max @ 5 mths old

Max Chilin Outside

Max Checking out the World

Max eating & guarding his Black Walnuts

Max Close-up

Attachments

·
RAT ADDICT
19,199 Posts
I love the last picture!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
This is hard for me to say......... but here it goes -

Max has decided to return to the wild instead of staying with a couple of old farts..... he spent the day outside high up in the exact same tree he fell from six months ago and he has only come down once to say hello to us and to let us pet him.

We have seen him eat and enjoy climbing and jumping from branch to branch - plus we nailed his personal nest box in his tree with some extra nuts stored in it for him.
... I will be sure to leave some food & water out for him before I leave for the day in the morning.

PIC below is a PIC of Max in his tree...... he is the small lump on the left branch of where the branch and trunk makes a V.

I wish him the best........ XoXoXoX

I will surely miss him - but my heart knows he is where he should be "WILD & FREE"

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Aww, that's great news! Hopefully he will stay nearby so that you can keep an eye on him. You're right, he belongs out there. You did a great thing by rescuing him.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Awwe, hun, that was hard to do . . . but he will be o.k. and I am sure he will come and visit you. He will always be in your heart. You did such a good thing in bringing him up. Now he can go on and have babies. Maybe he will bring them by to visit you too.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
It has been almost three years since we released Max back into the wild and now I have been giving the chance to hand raise another baby squirrel in need.... be looking for pics of Picasso to follow here soon (he was 2 wks when I got him - he is now 5 wks) - cant wait for this journey to get started. :)

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I am so glad you let max back into the wild. Squirrels are meant to climb trees and leap from one to another, not live in a cage. They need so much direct sunlight in a day too, that it would be dangerous for a squirrel's health to live mostly inside.

I've been rehabilitating squirrels since 1997 with my mother. The wild instinct and need for climbing trees always comes back at one point or another.

The website is in french, but if you want to see photos:
http://kiwibonga.com/ecureuiland/?cat=8
most recent baby my mother saved is little Grace, that she got at only 3 days old!

61 - 80 of 82 Posts