Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. . .
So I have been looking over what type of pet I should get.
And it all comes down to, a fly squirrel.
The little things stole my heart sooo fast!!

But now I have to wonder. . .
Could I make it a cage, or would I have to get one?

I've found a lot of cages are expensive.

I don't plan on getting a flying squirrel for quite a while, but I want to have a cage all ready for the little guy. :]

That way he can feel at home as quick as possible :]

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have no experience whatsoever with flying squirrels and don't really know what cage would suit them best but I suppose one for suger gliders should do them fine. anyway someone will be able to tell you exactly. until then all you can do is research to find out what would suit them best. good luck

·
Registered
159 Posts
the cage should be atleast like 65cm in all direktions and no more large then 2cm bar spasing. they are arboreal so alot if vertacle spase is good. natural wood bird perches are good for inside the cage, i recomend manzanita with bark on it is a very tough wood and easy to clean because its not porus. but also they need some flat perches like shelves(that are solid not wire). and for a nestbox something enklosed and near the top of the cage, like a birdhouse type thing or a cloth bag with a hole in the side. also i think they will use a large excersize weel. if you have alot of time and you would like to make a cage then it definatly would save money, but it may take alot of work so really its up to you. im not an expert of flying squirrels but i hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the cage should be atleast like 65cm in all direktions and no more large then 2cm bar spasing. they are arboreal so alot if vertacle spase is good. natural wood bird perches are good for inside the cage, i recomend manzanita with bark on it is a very tough wood and easy to clean because its not porus. but also they need some flat perches like shelves(that are solid not wire). and for a nestbox something enklosed and near the top of the cage, like a birdhouse type thing or a cloth bag with a hole in the side. also i think they will use a large excersize weel. if you have alot of time and you would like to make a cage then it definatly would save money, but it may take alot of work so really its up to you. im not an expert of flying squirrels but i hope this helps a little.

What would I need to build one??
&&I knew they would need alot of space, but I just wasn't sure what would be safe to use.

&&I have plenty of time. :]

I know they would need a lot of space to run.
What else would they need in their cage?
And what is best to put in the bottom?

·
Registered
159 Posts
well you could make the frame with wood or PVC or wiremesh sheets attached. wood is used alot maybe because is easier? but i would think it may absorb urine and smell too much, also more hard to clean. and use wiremesh with sqare holes not diamond holes because they could get a leg stuk in it. wood stain is toxic so dont use that. inthe cage foods and water bowl/bottls and hammoks, bird ladders, and alot of toys. the bottom you could do wire with a pullout tray under but more simple you could just have one wire sheet with newspaper on top, and just change the newspaper evryday.

heres an example of a flying squirrel cage(for 3 squirrels) just for an idea.

goodluck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
As long as the flyer has plenty of perches and objects to climb with vertical space it'll be happy, just make sure you take it out, it'll be even happier playin on you than in its cage. good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts