Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Formal Introductions.

Photos! 
2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  twoifbysea 
#1 ·
I figure that now my baby is home, it's time for both of us to introduce ourselves!

I'm Sephora. I'm 22, live in Massachusetts, and I'm a college student studying literature and criticism.

I have grown up around animals my whole life. My mother is a big animal lover and so am I. I'm comfortable around just about any animal you can name (except for the buggy kind).

Linus is a very bold 3.5 month old broken black mini lop/satin mix -- meaning full grown, he'll be bigger than a mini-lop but smaller than a satin. I just got him today from a breeder who was absolutely wonderful -- if you live anywhere in the area, I highly recommend her. I've never seen more impeccable conditions for a rabbit.

Right now he's in his carrier as I'm awaiting the (LATE) shipment of his new cage. The carrier is bigger than it looks in the picture -- he can fully turn around a couple of times and right now he's stretched out in it -- such a laid-back little bun.

I can't wait to get him in his nice big cage so he can explore a little and get more comfortable. He already has shown interest in coming out to explore, but I'll feel more comfortable letting him do that once he's had a couple of days to get used to the house from his cage.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Aw thanks!

I'm starting to wonder about something though -- I put a bowl of water AND a water bottle in his cage because I wanted to make sure that he would definitely have the chance to drink. However, if I took the water bowl away, would he likely adapt and start drinking from the bottle or should I not risk it?

As for the rescue vs. breeder thing -- I totally get it. I've always chosen rescue first -- both of my cats, one of my dogs, and both of my parakeets are all rescue animals. My first post ever on here was about how I had the choice between two different rabbits that were in need of good homes, but then one was adopted and the other rabbit's owner just stopped talking to me (so I assume he was adopted as well), and unfortunately, the rescues in my area don't allow people to adopt if they don't have previous rabbit experience -- no matter how well-read they may be. I totally get this though, because they want to make sure the person actually knows first-hand what it takes to own a rabbit before they hand over one that's been neglected, abused, or abandoned.

This breeder had older babies that no one wanted simply because they were older, so in a very small way, I feel like I still rescued him.

#7 ·
Well that's the problem -- he already seems to prefer the bowl. I'm pretty sure that's what he's used to at this point, but I'd like to switch to the water bottle to free some cage space and to prevent the water from getting gross. I put the water bottle right above the bowl so he can associate that spot with water in general, buuuut otherwise, I have no idea how to get him to transition.

#9 ·
Bowls are cleaner but my old bun Akina no matter what always spilled them. I transitioned her to a bowl (before our problem) by leaving her bowl where it normally is but hang it below the bottle. Then over a couple days with her getting her water from her familiar bowl I would fill the bowl up less and less so she would find other ways to get her water. . .Via the bottle. Then when I was sure she undestood I took away the bowl. (It was a wet couple of days!) lol But my Acacia berry never took to it and uses a stainless steel bowl.

#11 ·
Well it turns out it was going to be easier than I thought.

Because he's a baby, he's messy, so his bowl gets dirty real fast -- this is why I wanted to switch to the bottle.

But basically, all I did was hit the ball a few times while he was in that area to get him curious, and he's taken a couple of drinks from it already.

He flopped over for me today and it was adorable. He also likes to do this thing where he buries himself underneath the hay in his cage, and then pops up out of it suddenly. What a cutie pie. :heart:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.