Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took bit of a break from fostering,due to house renovations (painting/new flooring and all that good stuff).The rescue is up to their heads in dogs at the moment and have been asking me to take a dog every few weeks,even when I told them I couldn't.
:talk:

Well my home is finally finished (I love my new floors! No more carpet) and I really missed having a dog around (a house is not a home without a dog).I was just in touch with the rescue and I will be taking in another foster tomorrow evening.I am super excited.

I don't know anything about the dog I am getting yet.I do believe I am getting a female though.

Just had to share,as I am happy to have a dog again.
I think I should soon get my own dog as well.Fostering is great,but I really want my own dog.

:D

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just got a bit more information about the dog I am taking tomorrow.
Her name is Neveah (Heaven spelled backwards) and her and her mom were living in these horrible conditions and were seized.

I am not sure which one is Neveah yet,all I know is she is the daughter and is about 3 yrs old and the other dog is the mom.The mother dog is in another foster home with kennel cough and Neveah is not showing any signs of kennel cough yet,so they want to keep her away from the other dog for now,in case she doesn't have it.

This is the only picture I have at the moment and it is not very nice as you can see....:(

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
That's funny, I took a break too (just too much going on and long work hours, plus I was fostering rabbits) and am also getting another dog soon!

That picture is so sad :(. I hate how Beagles are kept in a lot of the rural areas :(. I can't wait to see some happy Beagle pictures! :D

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's funny, I took a break too (just too much going on and long work hours, plus I was fostering rabbits) and am also getting another dog soon!

That picture is so sad :(. I hate how Beagles are kept in a lot of the rural areas :(. I can't wait to see some happy Beagle pictures! :D
I look forward to hearing about your dog too when you get him/her.
I felt bad taking a break,especially since they kept asking me to foster,but now I am able to again and I am happy to do it.

Yeah sadly beagles are one of the most (if not the most) abused/neglected breed of dog in Newfoundland.Many hunters see them as a "tool" that is all.

Apparently from what I am told,the guy who had these also has a Lab who lives INSIDE the house and is spoiled.Yet these poor beagles were kept out in this crappy kennel.
:mad2:

But there will be happy beagle pictures once I get her and she settles a bit.I cannot wait to meet her.I am really excited!

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
OMG, those poor things!! :( It looks like they were being kept in some kind of sick rabbit hutch. What is wrong with people? Did their owner think that labs had feelings and beagles didn't...?

Well, now we NEED some pics of poor Neveah being happy! Like, ASAP!

· laugh often
1,810 Posts
Poor babies. I hate to see animals living in such horrible conditions. Luckily there are people like us to bring them home and pave a better life for them. Please keep us updated.

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OMG, those poor things!! :( It looks like they were being kept in some kind of sick rabbit hutch. What is wrong with people? Did their owner think that labs had feelings and beagles didn't...?

Well, now we NEED some pics of poor Neveah being happy! Like, ASAP!
Yep,here in NL this is how beagles are commonly kept...in these tiny,wire kennels.Beagles are seen as "tools" by many hunters and there is a common myth that if a beagle is kept indoors and spoiled and allowed to sleep on beds,that they will stop hunting and lose the ability to hunt.

It is a stupid MYTH.Beagles are hunting dogs,it is their instinct...spoiling them won't stop them from hunting.I know a few hunters who keep their dogs IN and the dogs have a great life and they still hunt very well.So basically around here,beagles are objects...only for hunting...:rolleyes::mad2: (not everyone is that way fortunately).Dude is an idiot,because Labs are hunting dogs too.

Anyways she is coming here tomorrow after supper,so there will be happy beagle pics real soon!

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
Uhg, I HATE hunters. My grandpa has a black lab he uses for hunting... She is outside 24/7 (she can go in the garage though), 10 years old, arthritic, and she is SO clingy when we visit because she is desperate for attention. :( Dogs are more than just tools, people.

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ugh,poor dog.
:(

The mindset of some people is ridiculous.

I don't have a problem with some hunters,the ones who love and care for their dogs and don't believe foolish and silly myths.

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
I used to walk a beagle with Lisa when she walked the greys and fat little charm Julie was, ex-hunter and she had her instincts still! Her belly was so low to the ground but that did not stop her!! lol
She's gorgeous Lisa!! Both are, I'm appalled at the conditions they were living in and sadly, there is nothing stopping them from obtaining more beagles for hunting. Dogs are SO disposable here, Oh and Sasami not only rural areas keep beagle like this here. St. John's and Mount Pearl are the capital cities in Newfoundland and close to the university here in town is an outdoor kennel (actually featured on Beagle Paws' wall of shame -_-) laws just are not serious about recognizing beagles as a breed of dog. They are tools for hunting.
One house I reported had a small beagle in horrid conditions on the back lot of an elementary school! When I went around to get the number of the house I spotted some real done up chick coming out with a boxer dog! It's almost laughable, you know, its 2011 and people are so backwards and ignorant. It's not as they say, Ignorance is NOT bliss!

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh yes...Julie! :)

Neveah is the one on the left in the picture,with the square bell.If you look very close,you will see a hernia between her legs.She just had it removed and also was spayed a couple of days ago.
:)

SHE is über sweet...despite being in this crappy kennel,she is really friendly,kissy,cuddly and clearly just wants to be loved.She is also surprisingly quiet.We went on a short walk around the block and came across two dogs and she perked up,but didn't bark or whine or anything.And the neighbor dog was outside barking and she cocked her head (which she does A LOT...it is really cute,as her head gets all wrinkly),but didn't bark.

She is sleeping behind me now and I managed to get a couple of pictures.

It is funny though,she lived her whole life in a kennel so she don't know what a lot of things are...very cautious with things,but it is to be expected.

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh and I forgot to mention Amanda,while she is not fat like Julie...she snorts a little like Julie when walking! :lol:

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well BLAH on him.
He just wants a "tough" dog to look cool.
:rolleyes:

(I am joking by the way...but that is generally how men are)

Maybe we can arrange a meeting/playdate with her and Coco in a couple of weeks.You will like her.So will Coco.

· Betta Bomb
5,417 Posts
Coco will fall for her. Unfortunately even with his paw protector Coco cannot handle snow for long in his toes before he gets sooky and needs ups. We can try, I'm sure in his infatuation he may forget his cold toes!! :p
Matt was bitten by a beagle once or something, so he doesn't trust them. That's hard line Nova Scotia blood lines! ;)

· RAT ADDICT
19,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah,Neveah's paws get bothered by the road salt.
But she has a lot of energy and will only stop for a moment.She may even be too much for Coco.She is a humper too...
:rolleyes:

I was bitten by a German Shepherd when I was 8 or 9 (not serious) when hanging out with Sarah and I LOVE the breed.Unless he was mauled by a beagle,that is not a good excuse! :D :lol:

· is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
Have you tried putting little boots on her feet? We have small doggie boots for my dog and for another small dog I walk, and it helps a lot with their feet. The salt and gravel bother my dog's feet too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.