Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if I can feed my rats the same fruit/veggie diet I give my rabbits? The bunnies get celery, romaine lettuce, and carrots three or four times a week along with timothy hay and rabbit pellets (daily) and sometimes for a little treat they'll each get a grape or a couple of craisins (which they absolutely LOVE).

The rats are (currently) eating pre-mixed rat food from a petstore and I was also of thinking of making my own ratty mix at home here since a) it would save money and b) would have less fatty crap in it. Anyone have any ideas on what I should be doing to make a mix and what else they need?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
well rats need a lot more protein than rabbits!
there are a lot of threads about this already, I'm sure if you do a search you'll find lots of good info!
I personally use SueBee's mix, but give lots of fresh food like eggs, fish, meat, all sorts of veggies, vegetables, nuts... also on the side.
A lot of people feed their rats Harlan Teklad blocs, I would do that but they're a bit hard to get especially when you don't have a credit card to order online!
The lab blocs are a complete food and you can buy huuuuuuges bags :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do you cook eggs and stuff for rats? I gave them some sliced turkey breast today, the kind you get at a deli. Is that the right direction for meat? And is Timothy hay good or bad or not really either?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
i've never given timothy hay and don't know much about it, so I can't tell you!
I just do boiled eggs :)
I think sliced turkey is ok... please tell me if I'm wrong other rat connoisseurs!
what you want to avoid is just meats that have too much sugar or salt or any sauce on it that might be too fatening for the rat. Just plain foods without seasonings are good!
My rat loves cucumber slices these days! Broccoli is good too. My rat doesn't like carrots, but all rats are different!

·
Official Loofah Tester
1,365 Posts
What I've had recommended is to give them 70 percent of their daily diet in the form of a quality lab block. Harlin Tekkled is considered the most complete and can be purchased cheaply online from a few places. The one I use is Mainly Rat Rescue: http://www.mainelyratrescue.org/rattieblog2/

Most lab blocks in stores are not suitable no matter what they say. I can't remember off the top of my head the names of the few that are considered adequate (someone else help?). The seed mixes you get from the pet store are unfortunately awful for them. It's sad, but even through they /say/ they're for rats, if you feed them that as their staple, you'll end up with unhealthy rats.

Suebee's Mix is a good mix, but it's not a complete diet, and you have to be proactive in providing the rest of their nutritional needs.

Here's one site's detailed description of rat diet needs, as well as suggested daily diet and foods to avoid: http://www.pxrats.com/ratfood.html

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link, I'm short on time right now but I'll check it out ASAP. =D

About the store food.. I was surprised when I got it ohme and opened it and it looked like hamster food. Rang a few bells that something wasn't right... I was pretty sure rats didn't do well with them.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I learned last night that they both really love celery and red peppers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My rat LOVES celery...I've been wanting to try red peppers for a while but haven't...they are kind of pricey compared to some veggies and fruits like Parsley or Broccoli, they LOVE spinach.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like red peppers myself which is why I have them in the house. Basically my animals like what I like haha. If not then too bad for them. =P I also read somewhere (can't remember WHERE) that rats like oatmeal.. is this true? Do they like it raw or cooked? Kind of confused me.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh and a late Merry Christmas to everybody!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
merry late xmas! i feed my rats mazuri personally, i also have a turtle though and i outfit her with all kinds of veggies like kale, carrots, and celery. they often times get the same veggies she gets. i just discovered that they dig cucumbers too so that adds to it

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What about things like grains? Liam has been feeding Cocoa nibbles of crusts from his sandwiches and whatnot, and I told him that probably wasn't a good idea. I just figured it would be good to check first.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My rats love bananas. I get bananas for my parrot, and occasionally give them to my little gals. They also like carrots. I've tried parsley, and the eat it, but they always look a little disappointed when I give it to them. Last time I gave some parsley to Reggi, she grabbed it, sniffed it, threw it on the ground and then looked at me.

As far as lab blocs go, I also give my girls Mazuri and they seem to enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
What about things like grains? Liam has been feeding Cocoa nibbles of crusts from his sandwiches and whatnot, and I told him that probably wasn't a good idea. I just figured it would be good to check first.
Grains are actually very good for rats. I feed mine a homemade mix made up almost entirely of grains and supplemented by quality lab blocks. Try things like shredded wheat, puffed wheat, puffed rice, and whole wheat bread (on occasion--bread tends to have a bit more sodium in it than other forms of whole grain). When I give my boys bread, I dip it in olive oil, which is also very good for them. :)

·
Rat Rescuer and Hospice
1,883 Posts
Hay won't be eaten by rats and could poke them in the eye, so I usually avoid it. Anything alfalfa is almost indigestible for rats so that should be avoided as well.

Veggies like broccoli and asparagus can give rats flatulence so feed in moderation. Rats love veggies and they are so good for them so as you are finding out, figure out what they like :)

Blueberries is a good fruit to feed for the anti-oxidant properties. Bananas are great for potassium. I make oatmeal for my rats on weekends, with soy or rice milk, and a slurry of processed veggies or fruit.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Really? I assumed that was extra carbs that they didn't need - Liam will be happy to hear he can still share.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
louna loveees broccoli (but only eats the florets, never the stem), cucumber (she's obsessed), cherry tomatoes, bananas and blueberries. Oh and grapes :)
However, she doesn't like carrots, apples or celeri.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I think I pretty much have it down. The girls love blackberries, celery, carrots and red pepper. When you all say oatmeal.. do you mean cooked or raw?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I give my boys uncooked rolled oats for breakfast. They don't need to be cooked, though I'm sure they would like them that way, too. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts