Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Michigan with two crappy pet stores and even crappier department stores. The stores carry chinchilla, ferret and even sugar glider food but not degu. Everything has some sort of sugar in it.

I read on a site that rat blocks were ok. I saved the blocks after or last rat passed on. So I offered them to the degus and they loved them. We were looking for degu food and I read the ingredients on the rat blocks and they contain cane molasses. So the rat blocks are out.

So far I found guinea pig food with no sugar, timothy hay, mustard greens, tiny bits of sweet potato and carrots. I guess I need to order the degu food online.

Anyone else ordering online? If so, what site do you like. Also, do you like one brand over another?

BTW, my four boys are about 7-9 months old.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much. I will transfer money to my buy-online card tomorrow and order several bags.

While looking again at care sheets online, several suggest blending guinea pig with chinchilla food. chincilla food has cane molasses. The information out there is frustrating me.

· Resident Aquarium Nerd
10,108 Posts
Thank you so much. I will transfer money to my buy-online card tomorrow and order several bags.

While looking again at care sheets online, several suggest blending guinea pig with chinchilla food. chincilla food has cane molasses. The information out there is frustrating me.
No problem :).

That info is probably outdated. That used to be necessary because good degu food hadn't been made yet. There was at least one brand of chinchilla food in the United States that lacked molasses (since I used it) but I don't remember what it was called.

Thankfully, that's not a problem now since companies noticed the growing popularity of degus as pets :D.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.