Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you heard of this brush for cats? I went into my vet when my kitty was sick and we got to talking and she showed this brush to me. I have alot of cats and always am looking for new things. But she noticed that my kitty could use some extra help with brushing (even though I do brush him) he really has problems with furballs. So, she told me about this brush called the Furminator. I thought she was joking, but she wasn't. It is awesome! You barely have to comb through their hair and tons of extra hair comes out! It doesn't hurt them at all and the hair that comes out, is all of that nasty hair that they would be licking out and tossing up later! You only have to comb them once or twice a week, and you have to be careful not to put alot of pressure into combing when you do brush them. I also put my cats on the Iaams diet for hairballs and that has helped too. But I just had to pass this on for anyone else that has not heard about this brush. It come in two different colors, the yellow handle is for dogs and the blue handle is for cats. I still chose the yellow handled one because I have such big cats and that is what the vet recommended for me also. Where I am, I could find them either at Ranch and Home or PetsMart. Hope I helped someone out there, because this was great news for me and my kitties! :cat:

·
Hello Earthling
4,729 Posts
This brush is amazing... but the one we got is for our dogs....

Their a bit pricy for the real one not the knockoffs

I think we pays almost 80.00 for ours but its work wonderfully:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
at our grooming shop we have quite a few dog owners that bring their dogs in for grooming and since they are up at eye level on the table we check for abnormal things and we have been seeing a lot of cuts all over theire skin on quite a few of our dogs. and when we ask the owners about it it all comes down to the same thing they have all got the furminator and dont realize they are brushing to hard, so you have to be really careful as the scraping is prone to staph infections

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OMG!!!! That is terrible. When my vet told me about the brush I was lucky enough to get a demonstration before I went out and got the brush. AND, my vet was very very sure to tell me that you have to be careful when brushing NOT TO BRUSH TOO HARD, because you can scalp your pet. It takes just a light brushing and the hair comes right out. Oh, poor pets. There should be a way we could get the message out. We have started here, maybe pet shops that see this happening could put up signs too?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The FurMinator is basically a glorified stripping blade on a T-handle. Bamboo makes one called the FurBuster which is the same thing only quite a bit cheaper. It's still not as cheap as a stripping blade though.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Thanks siberianmum. I was just getting ready to say that. All it is is a 40 blade on a handle. You can razor burn or cut them really badly if you do it too hard or in the same spot for too long. Same with a shedding blade. And you have to be extra careful with cats because their skin is really thin.

·
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes
2,934 Posts
I am glad I read this post. I just got one and did the cats and bunnies. Wow it works extremely well. I will be sure not to brush too hard - especially with the bunners since their skin in thin.
I needed something good for them - the cats are always tossing up fur balls and I worry about the bunners because they cannot toss up fur balls!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I love this brush for my dogs. We saw it at a state fair and my in laws got it for their cat. So when we got our puppy I bought one for him. I did see a demonstration on how to use it so we don't scratch the dogs with the teeth.

·
Amateur Zookeeper
3,572 Posts
I use the zoom groom for my cats and it works really good! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got a furminator because one of my cats sheds nonstop and when I brush her once, sometimes twice, a week she's practically shed-free. Her hairballs have nearly stopped when she was throwing them up at least once a day. Still get the occasional one but the furminator is amazing, I love it. :)

My other cat doesn't shed as much but when I pick up the furminator, she won't leave me alone because she loves it. I have to push her away to brush the other cat. Heh.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use Fur-Zoff to pick up hair from my cat. I like it better than most things because it's made of recycled materials and has a lifetime guarantee. You can find it at FurZoff.net for about $10. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have the furminator for both my dogs and cats but someone I read on the internet recently to be extremely careful as there have been a lot of cases in dogs on their undercoat being ripped out because people just keep brushing because hair keeps coming out. I asked my vet and he said this is true. He said you should only use the furminator 1-2 a month and only for approx 15 mins. I was shocked as we use it weekly for our dogs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use this on my rotti and my cat they both love it. Kitty knows the drawer it's kept in and runs to be brushed as you get to the drawer! lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
We LOVE the FURminator! With four dogs, one of which is a Great Pyrenees, that brush is my best friend, especially in the spring. The only issue I have with it is trying to use it in the winter time. It generates a lot of static and the dogs don't seem to dig static much (can't blame them). But I've never seen so much dog hair come off of a dog in one sitting, even from the ones that don't shed much. Definitely recommended!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts