Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My buns live in the attached garage with our two big aquariums and where the dogs sleep. I was wondering if I made them runs, could they be directly on the cold concrete?

I've had guinea pigs on concrete with cardboard on the floor, but they got sick from it and died. Maybe there was a draft or their naked feet made them more susceptible? This is a new house, so the garage is a little different.

Anyway, I found two buns out escaped running around. Luckily no cables chewed or any fights. Thus I've been wondering with their larger size, fur feet and ability to get back into their cage, can they have run of the garage and be ok?

I was hoping to get wire fencing and making a large area fenced and letting a bun out into the area one at a time to play in. The area would go down along the 12ft in front of the cage row and go out maybe 4ft. I may divide it in half at 6ft to have two buns out at a time, since the cages are two long cages divided into 3 each.

What do you guys think?

Below is a picture I drew of the cages. Top is the current setup. Left cage[1] empty, 2 Tsunami, 3 Daisy, 4 Pearl, 5 Stella & 5 Cricket. Cricket is getting a new home, hopefully soon. This will allow for the bottom picture setup.
Left cage[1] Tsunami, 2 Daisy, 3 Pearl & 4 Stella.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I don't see why not. Rabbits have no trouble at all romping around on snow-covered ground. A basement floor shouldn't be a big deal at all.

Yeah..guinea pigs aren't well-equipped for cold living. My guinea pig stopped eating a few weeks ago just because she got too chilled living in our cold bedroom. Meanwhile, my rabbit's in the garage in her cage, where it's freaking cold, and it's no big deal to her at all.

·
is a little "special"
4,182 Posts
Just wondering, how cold is your garage? If you have aquariums in there, it sounds like it's heated or something.
When our basement was concrete, I let Smudge run around down there all the time, and he has run around in our garage a couple times too without issues.
Putting down some carpeting or something couldnt hurt though. ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure how cold it is, but the main floor gets as cold as 50F, so my guess the garage would get as low as 40F. We don't heat the house, we only have a small fireplace in the basement. Lol, this house is too big for us, but it was at the right rental price. They have blankets over their cages to make them more visually safe for them and they have tons of hay to dig in if need be. But I haven't seen them act cold, they are active and seem great. I'm hoping the space to run will be nothing but an improvement for them.

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Rabbits cope with cold temperatures better than they do hot. I'd be more concerned with how hot the garage gets in the summer.

40F should be okay for them. Our apartment gets that cold sometimes in the winter (we don't use our heat much) and my bunnies are fine. Protect them from drafts, though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went up to get pictures, but my camera battery died. So waiting for it to charge.
I put up a temporary run. Put down a couple towels, box of hay, box with cardboard padding & a bowl of water. So far Cricket, Tsunami, Daisy & Pearl have been out. Pearl is out right now. Daisy & Pearl both know where their cage is and how to get back in. I'm putting a small box in front of their door for them to hop out on and then down. Pearl is having the most fun out of all of them.
Going to try to let Stella out again after Pearl's time is up. Hopefully, I will have pictures by then, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.